Pinterest Changes The Way You Can Embed Pins — Again!

'Pretty Pinterest' photo (c) 2013, mkhmarketing - license: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I like Pinterest a lot, and have several very active Boards.

One thing I don’t like about it, though, is that the company keeps on changing the way you can embed Pins on blogs and websites.

First, it was easy — they just gave you an embed code. Then, they created a new two-step process that was a pain, while at the same time disabling all the previous embedded images people at used on their sites — most just disappeared! Then, a few months back, they made it a very simple process with just a quick click and you got an embed code.

Now, however, they changed it again, and made it very difficult to figure out how make pins embeddable. In fact, their “Help” section hasn’t even been updated — if you ask how to embed a pin, it give you the old directions for a process that doesn’t work anymore.

There is a way to do so, though, and here it is:

First you click on the pin you want to embed and get its url address — that’s very simple. For example, the url address for the pin I’ve embedded below is “http://www.pinterest.com/pin/21673641931495238/.” You just click on a pin to make it look bigger, and you get the address.

Then, you go to Pinterest’s “Widget Builder” and paste the url address in the box.

Next, you click “Build It” and you’re given an embed code. Copy and paste it, and you get something like this:

So, that’s how you do it now — until they change it again!

I’m adding this info to The Best Guides To Figuring Out Pinterest.

1. Hey Larry, really appreciate the help! Do you know if there is a way to have the widget setup so that you can have text next to it?

2. Has something changed again?
    I’m unsure what to place in the “image” part of that builder.. . I copied and pasted the same link — but apparently it’s not accepting that. What would you suggest?
    Could they make this ANY harder?

http://ofthefield.blogspot.com/

3. Larry,
    This post made my day! Thanks for helping me figure out how to embed a pin — again.

Cathy

4. Larry,

“If you go to my Best list on Pinterest and scroll to the bottom, you’ll find updated info about their latest changes”. What do you mean by Best list on Pinterest? In the Widget Builder, having pasted in the URL of the pin, the previewed image looks fine. But when I paste the code, it doesn’t reproduce the image in the post. Is this my fault or is it down to Pinterest?

All the best,

Matthew

5. Larry, Schoolboy error on the HTML front. I’ve now got the images displaying on my post. They are smaller than I’d like. Will try and work out how to make them bigger. If you’ve got any ideas, please shout. Thanks for all your help, Matthew

6. I would love to know if you find a solution to this. It’s frustrating!