The Best Posts & Articles Highlighting Why We Need To Be Very Careful Around Ed Tech

'hackNY 2011 Spring Student Hackathon' photo (c) 2011, - license:

Most readers know that I’m a big proponent of using technology to help students in their learning process.

In fact, you can see a collection of applicable articles and related “Best” lists at The Best Advice On Using Education Technology.

Most readers also know I’ve got a lot of misgivings about how tech is being used in education, particularly in ways that seem to prioritize profit over learning (though that’s certainly not the only reason it’s being misused).

I thought I’d bring together a number of those kinds of “Best” lists, along with specific articles, and encourage readers to also contribute their own.

Here they are:

The Best Posts About The Khan Academy

The Best Posts & Articles On MOOC’s — Help Me Find More

The Best Posts On Computer-Graded Essays

A Very Beginning List Of The Best Articles On The iPad Debacle In Los Angeles Schools

Audrey Watters has written too many excellent posts to count on this topic at her blog, Hack Education.

Marketing Technologies in U.S. Public Schools is by Larry Cuban.

Framing the School Technology Dream is also by Larry Cuban.

Adaptive Learning Is An Infinite iPod That Only Plays Neil Diamond is by Dan Meyer.

Mind the Quicksand: A Word of Warning to EdTech Investors is from The Education Scientist.

Quotes: When Vendors Calls Themselves “Partners” is from This Week In Education.

I’ve written a fair amount about Internet Essentials in The Best Resources For Learning About Schools Providing Home Computers & Internet Access To Students. It’s Concast’s program to provide online access to low-income students. I have mentioned some skepticism about the program, but I was amazed about how much more skeptical we all should be of it. Read about it at The Washington Post, Why Comcast’s $10 a month Internet isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and at Quartz, Comcast promised poor Americans cheap internet, but most of them didn’t get it.

The History of “Personalization” and Teaching Machines is by Audrey Watters.

OPINION: A Distemperate Response to Silicon Valley’s ‘Edtech Revolution’ is from Ed Surge.

Bill Gates Is an Autodidact. You’re Probably Not. is from Slate.

Why I’m Asking You Not to Use Laptops is from The Chronicle Of Higher Education.

Why I Just Asked My Students To Put Their Laptops Away is by Clay Shirky.

Here’s The Writing Prompt I’m Using With “Smartphones Don’t Make Us Dumb”

Can Students Have Too Much Tech? is from The New York Times.

Meet The Classroom Of The Future is from NPR and sounds awful.

iPads < Teachers is by Peg Tyre.

Ed-Tech’s Inequalities is by Audrey Watters.

Why Technology Will Never Fix Education appeared in The Chronicle of Higher Education.

AltSchool, Media Hype, & the Dilemma of Innovation Stories is by Alexander Russo.

Quote Of The Day: Tech Is Not A Panacea For Schools

Never Send a Human to do a Machine’s Job: Top 5 Mistakes in Ed Tech is by Yong Zhao.

What am I missing?