The Best Online Learning Simulation Games & Interactives — Help Me Find More

As I mentioned earlier this week, I’m doing some research and writing on the idea of “transfer of learning.”

As part of that research, I’ve been exploring online simulations that could “transfer” learning to different situations students might realistically encounter in classes or outside of school. I’ve posted about quite a few of them over the year, and you can find them on various “The Best” lists, but I don’t have one dedicated list to them.

I thought it was time to create one.

I did a quick and dirty search of my Best lists (particularly The Best Places To Read & Write “Choose Your Own Adventure” Stories) to identify a number of them, and have them listed below. It’s by no means exhaustive (I know there are a lot of science-oriented ones out there, as well as others that connect math to concrete “real-world” situations), though, and I’m hoping readers will contribute more.

Here goes:

A company called Zap Dramatic creates many excellent “online negotiation games” and “interactive dramas” that use the “choose your own adventure” technique.  The games are generally designed to teach negotiation skills. Their games, though, are probably only appropriate for high school students and above. They include:

Move or Die

Ambition 1
Ambition 2
Ambition 3
Ambition 4
Ambition 5
Ambition 6
Ambition 7
Ambition 8
Ambition 10

Gangs, Guns & Knives Awareness has a British bent, and focuses on how young people can stay safe.

Connect With Haji Kamal is an intriguing game developed for the U.S. Army to help soldiers develop better skills at communicating across cultures.

Broken Co-Worker is an interesting “Choose Your Own Adventure” game where players are in the role of a bullied worker. It appears to be classroom appropriate, but I did not explore all the alternatives available.

Breakaway is an online game where players are virtual members of a previously-all boys soccer team react to a girl joining it. The United Nations Population Fund helped create it. Here’s how it’s described:

Breakaway is a free online game intending to reduce violence against women across the globe. Players join a youth football (soccer) team and learn about being a team player on and off the field. They must build their relationships with their teammates between practices and matches, navigating the conflicts that arise when a girl finds a place on the team.

Depression Quest is an interactive text fiction game (or choose your own adventure) where the player plays the part of someone who is suffering from depression.

Lifesaver is an online video game designed to help you learn CPR through the “choose your own adventure” game genre.

Start the Talk: A Parent Learning Tool is designed as a role-playing exercise for parents so they can practice speaking with their children about under-age drinking. Surprisingly — at least to me — it seems to offer some very good advice, and I can see it being useful to both parents and children.

Here are a few job interview simulation interactives:

My Interview Simulator

Interview Simulation

It All Adds Up has some useful economics interactives.

Financial Fitness For Life

Gen i Revolution is a series of financial games.

The Best Sites For Students To Create Budgets has quite a few activities that would probably qualify as simulations.

And there might other financial-related ones I missed at The Best Sites For Learning Economics & Practical Money Skills.

Here are links to several stock market simulations:

National Stock Market Simulation

Can You Be The Next Market Guru?

The Stock Market Game

The California Stock Market Simulation

So You Want To Be In Charge of Monetary Policy? is not a stock market simulation, but it is related to it.

And many science-connected simulations can be found at PhET Interactive Simulations and at Houghton Mifflin Discover Simulations.

Wake Your Class Up with Simulations! is from Ingenious Teaching.

Okay, now, let me know what I’m missing!

Monster has an interactive virtual Virtual Job Interview.