Check out my Ed Week Teacher series, Teaching ELLs That ‘Science is a Verb’

I’ve just posted The Best Resources For Teaching Common Core Math To English Language Learners, and thought I’d publish this companion post, too.

Just as I’m interested in interviewing teachers who have had success teaching Common Core Math to ELLs, I’d like to talk with teachers who are effectively teaching the Next Generation Science Standards to them. Please leave a comment if you’re open to talking with me.

You might also be interested in The “All-Time” Best Science Sites . Of course, I also have a ton of other science-related “Best” lists, too.

Here are my choices for The Best Resources For Teaching The Next Generation Science Standards To English Language Learners (please suggest more):

Next Generation Science Standards and English-Learners is from Ed Week.

Teaching Science to English Language Learners: What do the NGSS Tell Us? is from Diane Staehr Fenner.

Language Demands and Opportunities in Relation to Next Generation Science Standards for English Language Learners: What Teachers Need to Know is from Understanding Language.

English Language Learners and the Next Generation Science Standards is from Next Generation Science.

New Science Standards Designed for Wide Range of Learners is from Education Week.

Cultivating Academic Language and Literacy in Science Instruction was the title of a recent Webinar, which I believe can be viewed for free.

Supporting ELLs in the Science Classroom: 5 Things to Do when Planning a Lesson is from The Science Penguin.

Seven Steps to Using Next Generation Science Standards with ELLs is from Common Core and ELLs.

Supporting ELLs in the Science Classroom: Part II is from The Science Penguin.

‘Makerspaces’ for science instruction also proving helpful for English learners is from Ed Source.

Unlocking Learning: Science as a Lever for English Learner Equity is from The Education Trust.

Report: Innovative science instruction boosts academic performance among English learners is from Ed Source.

Doing and Talking Science: A Teacher’s Guide to Meaning-Making with English Learners is from WIDA.

Stem For ELS looks like a very useful site.

Guest Post: Teaching the Language of Science

SCALE Science is a project from Stanford providing resources, including lesson plans, for teaching the Next Generation Science Standards.

Change the way you teach STEM classes! is from WIDA.

Educators Guide for Inquiry-based Science and English Language Development is from The Exploratorium.

Here’s an example how a science teacher is using a resource from our latest book:

GUEST POST: SCIENCE & ELLS

GUEST POST: MAKING ELLS FEEL WELCOME IN SCIENCE CLASS

GUEST POST: TEACHING ELLS SCIENCE WITH SELF-MANAGED LEARNING

GUEST POST: WHAT I LEARNED IN THE FIRST WEEKS OF TEACHING SCIENCE TO ELLS

Guest Post: Teaching Biology To English Language Learners

Mastering Vocabulary with Visuals is by Stephen Fleenor.

Author Interview: ‘Teaching Science to English Learners’ is the headline of one of my  Education Week Teacher columns.

Engaging English Learners in the Science and Engineering Practices is from STEM Teaching Tools.

Nevertheless has multilingual STEM Role Models posters.

One of the most challenging problems in educational policy and practice is a Science Daily article summarizing a study about ELL assessments in science.

“SCIENCE IN THE CITY” LOOKS LIKE AN EXCELLENT SOURCE OF CULTURALLY RESPONSIVE LESSONS

Integrating Language While Teaching STEM is a “NCELA Teaching Practice Brief.”

Using ELL Strategies in the Science Classroom is from Edutopia.

The Visual Non-Glossary, created by Stephen Fleenor for Seidlitz Education, seems to me to be a “must-have” for Science educators working with ELLs. It costs $100, but definitely seems worth the cost.

STEM and ELT: 7 Science Reading Strategies is from TESOL.

STEM and ELT: 4 Science Strategies is from TESOL.

STEM and ELT: How to Build Background and Prior Knowledge in STEM is from TESOL.

Successfully Implement Claims, Evidence, and Reasoning for ELs is from TESOL.

Making Science Multilingual: Supporting Equity Through Design Principles is from WIDA.

Doing and Talking Math and Science supports ELLs.

Here are guidelines for preparing science materials for ELLs.