The Best Resources For Learning About Restorative Practices – Help Me Find More

Check out How to Practice Restorative Justice in Schools at my Education Week Teacher column.

We’ve begun implementing some restorative practices at our school, and I’ll be posting about the topic on a future Education Week Teacher column.

Here are a few resources that seem helpful, and I hope that readers will share more in the comments section:

Opening Up, Students Transform a Vicious Circle is from The New York Times.

Restorative Justice: Resources for Schools is from Edutopia.

Restorative Practices: Fostering Healthy Relationships & Promoting Positive Discipline in Schools is from Opportunity to Learn.

An Alternative To Suspension And Expulsion: ‘Circle Up!’ is from NPR.

What Eva Moskowitz gets wrong about restorative discipline is from Chalkbeat.

Minding the Discipline Gap in Education is from the Pacific Standard.

Zeroing out Zero Tolerance is from The Atlantic.

Quote Of The Day: Alternatives To Suspending Students

Restorative Justice in U.S. Schools: Summary Findings from Interviews with Experts is from WestEd.

When Restorative Justice in Schools Works is from The Atlantic.

Why some LAUSD teachers are balking at a new approach to discipline problems is from The LA Times.

In L.A. Unified, restorative justice has been slow to take hold is also from The LA Times.

Hillary Clinton Wants to End the School-to-Prison Pipeline. She Should Embrace Restorative Justice to Do It. is from Slate.

Quote Of The Day: “Unhelpful Punishment”

Is Discipline Reform Really Helping Decrease School Violence? is from The Atlantic.

One Key to Reducing School Suspension: A Little Respect is from Ed Week.

One way Denver Public Schools is addressing race and culture in the classroom is from Colorado Chalkbeat.

Important Analysis Of Schools With Fewer Suspensions Makes Important Points, As Well As Highlighting Gaps

When suspensions weren’t working, this high school opted for a new approach is from The Washington Post.

NY Times Publishes Best Piece On Restorative Practices That I’ve Seen

NY Times Article & Video On Dangers Of School “Zero Tolerance” Policies

Rethinking School Discipline is from The American Prospect.

Why Restorative Practices Benefit All Students is from Edutopia.

A Brooklyn Charter School Looks Past ‘No Excuses’ is an article in The New York Times that described a move towards restorative practices. Here’s how it ends:

Implementing Restorative Practices In The Classroom is from Getting Smart.

As the Safe and Caring Schools teacher for the Algonquin & Lakeshore Catholic District School Board, I support teachers and schools who are seeking to implement Restorative Practices in their classrooms and schools. We mostly use proactive measures to help build, maintain and restore relationships, and build school communities. I have some resources and links I would love to share if you are interested. In 2013, Boards in our area held a one day symposium with admin, teachers and students discussed RP. Here is a link to the video that was made.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w63d_A8VlMg&feature=youtu.be

I would love to hear of your approaches and experiences. All the best, and thanks for the post.
    Jim

• great to learn about this–it is all about inquiry and listening to needs and seeing how RJP might address those needs. i find that our wonderful teachers and admins find it hard to see how they’d fit in another training, but then when they take time to see if RP might actually save them time, the results are amazing. I look forward to hearing more stories of success and even surprise at just how effective RJP is for schools. in Longmont CO the lcjp.org team with schools, police and community have a 7% recidivism rate…thanks for doing this important work Jim.

2. Here is a useful website that I’ve created with an app on the way to support teachers in the classroom.
    https://sites.google.com/site/mrmarshallrestorativepractices

3. This is a much-needed dialogue and am grateful that I came upon your blog thanks to Twitter! Hearing stories from teachers, principals, students and more in their implementation process as well as working the processes of RJP is something I support via the dialogue series Restorative Justice on The Rise. Please feel free to visit the site for over 100 archives, a national map of resources and programs (that you can submit your program on too) and much more. http://www.restorativejusticeontherise.org

4. We have a lot of resources on our Restorative Solutions website, including research reports, articles, handouts and list of programs. Also, check out the Minnesota Department of Education’s Restorative Measures webpage and San Francisco Unified School District’s Implementation Manual. So many good resources out there!

5. There’s a free manual and curriculum for teaching restorative practices and helping students build fluency in the core skills needed to participate effectively in restorative conversations, download from http://www.centerforrestorativeprocess.com/