I’ve written and shared on this blog and in my books about the inductive learning method called concept attainment. Basically, teachers placed examples, typically (though not always) from unnamed student work, under the categories of “Yes” and “No.” The class then constructs their own understanding of why the examples are in their categories. It’s a great tool for many lessons, and I like it especially for grammar and other writing. You can read more about it at The Best Resources About Inductive Learning & Teaching.

My exceptional colleague Lara Hoekstra has developed concept attainment charts she looks to model quick-writes for an immigration unit we teach. I’ve written before how we use ABC (Answer the question; Back it up with evidence; Make a comment or connection) and PQC (Make a Point, use a quotation, and make a comment or connection) that we use as a simple paragraph frame for students. These charts reinforce those frames.

Here’s Lara’s chart. There are three of them. Here are the questions each of them are answering:

1. How do you feel about creating a fence? Will it work? Is it worth the money? Can we fence off ALL of America?

2. What do you think is the most interesting or important point made in the passage. Why? Explain your point, use text to support your point.

3. Some feel immigrants are willing to work harder than Americans. Why is that? Do you agree?

I’m adding this post to The Best Posts On Writing Instruction.

Let me know if you have similar writing models that you’d like to share….