How to Identify and Serve English Learners with Disabilities is from Ed Week.

I’ll be publishing a piece in my Education Week Teacher column later this year on how to best assist English Language Learners with special needs, and educators have contributed some great responses. I thought I’d also get a head-start on collecting and sharing related-resources by publishing this list and inviting more suggestions.

Here’s what I have so far:

Teaching English Language Learners With Special Needs is a two-part series in my Education Week Teacher column on the topic.

Report Offers Guiding Principles to Support ELLs With Disabilities is from Learning The Language at Education Week.

I published a post awhile back seeking advice on this topic, and received some helpful comments.

ELs With Special Needs: Combining Language Goals With Learning Strategies is from The TESOL blog.

English Language Learners with Learning Disabilities is a video from Colorin Colorado.

States Struggle to Identify, Support ELLs with Learning Disabilities is from Ed Week.

English Language Learners with Disabilities: A Call for Additional Research and Policy Guidelines is from the Council of Chief State School Officers.

Special Education and English Language Learners is from Colorin Colorado.

ESOL and Special Education Collaboration: A Teacher’s Perspective is from Colorin Colorado.

The May 2017 Focus Bulletin from WIDA is on Focus on ELLs with Disabilities: Identifying ELLs with Specific Learning Disabilities.

RTI and English Learners: 4 Considerations is by Jane Echevarria. I’d like to particularly recommend her seven questions “to distinguish between disability and language difference.”

Don’t Underestimate, Shortchange ELLs With Disabilities, Researcher Argues is from Ed Week.

700,000 English-Language Learners Have a Disability. We Have to Do Better by Them appeared in Ed Week.

GUEST POST: IS IT LANGUAGE, OR IS IT A LEARNING CHALLENGE?

GUEST POST: ELLS & SPECIAL NEEDS – A VIEW FROM CANADA

GUEST POST: IDENTIFYING LEARNING DISABILITIES IN ENGLISH LEARNERS

GUEST POST: “DISTINGUISHING BETWEEN A SPECIAL NEED AND A LANGUAGE ACQUISITION ISSUE”

GUEST POST: THE CHALLENGES OF IDENTIFYING LEARNING NEEDS AMONG ELLS – IN INDIA!

Here are some new resources for ELLs with learning differences from the Wisconsin Center for Education Research.

Simple Tips for Making Your EFL Lessons More Inclusive for Students with a Hearing Loss! is a sample post from the Key In The Apple blog.

Evaluating English-Learners for Special Education Is a Challenge. Here’s Help is from Ed Week.

California Practitioners’ Guide for Educating English Learners with Disabilities has been published by the State of California.

English Learners with Disabilities: Shining a Light on Dual-Identified Students is a new report from New America.

Teaching English to learners with Special Educational Needs (SENs) – Myths and realities is from The British Council.

Ways to Better Serve Often-Misunderstood English-Learners With Disabilities is from Ed Week.

When Should We Refer ELs to Special Ed? is by Tan Huynh.

The Office of English Language Acquisition has published English Learners With Disabilities.

TOOLS AND RESOURCES FOR ADDRESSING ENGLISH LEARNERS WITH DISABILITIES

MEETING THE NEEDS OF ENGLISH LEARNERS WITH AND WITHOUT DISABILITIES is from the U.S. Dept. of Ed.

Meeting the Needs of English Learners with and without Disabilities: Brief 2, Evidence-based Tier 2 Intervention Practices for English Learners is from NCELA.

Examining Growth at the Intersection of IEP and (Long-Term) EL Status is from WIDA.

How to guide: Supporting teachers in teaching English to learners with special educational needs and disabilities is from The British Council.

Providing Special Education Services for Multilingual Learners is from Edutopia.