Professor Likes To Lecture, So Writes NY Times Column Saying Everybody Else Should, Too

3722413559

Lecture Me. Really. is a weak column by a college professor who likes to lecture.

She claims teachers should lecture because it teaches listening and note-taking skills. I would suggest that there are better ways to help students develop those abilities (see The Best Ideas To Help Students Become Better Listeners — Contribute More and The Best Resources On Effective Note-Taking Strategies – Help Me Find More).

In addition, she dismisses research saying that lecturing is particularly problematic for students of color and those from low-income communities, saying we shouldn’t change doing things just because students find it “difficult.”  Now, that’s a rationale for doing what you want to do even if it is ineffective!

Listen, I get that some direct instruction some of the time is necessary and useful.  But not most of the time.

We need to keep it balanced and, when I say balanced, I mean the scale needs to be tipping away from lectures…

You might also be interested in:

The Best Research Demonstrating That Lectures Are Not The Best Instructional Strategy

The Best Posts Questioning If Direct Instruction Is “Clearly Superior”

1. I can’t decide if you really meant her column is weak!