The Best Resources For Geography Awareness Week

Dynamic lead STACKED_no date

Thanks to Richard Byrne, I’ve been reminded that Geography Awareness Week begins today. Check out his post for some useful related-resources.

Here’s a description of the week’s origin:

Each year more than 100,000 Americans actively participate in Geography Awareness Week (GeoWeek). Established by presidential proclamation more than 25 years ago, this annual public awareness program organized by National Geographic Education Programs (NGEP) encourages citizens young and old to think and learn about the significance of place and how we affect and are affected by it. Each third week of November, students, families and community members focus on the importance of geography by hosting events; using lessons, games, and challenges in the classroom; and often meeting with policymakers and business leaders as part of that year’s activities.

Here are geography-related “Best” lists I’ve previously posted:

The Best Websites For Learning & Teaching Geography

The Best Geography Sites For Beginning & Intermediate English Language Learners
 (which includes several other “The Best” lists I just don’t have time this morning to include here).

The Best Map-Making Sites On The Web

The Best Resources For Google Earth Beginners Like Me

The Best Online Geography Games

The Best Sites Where Students Can Plan Virtual Trips

The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures

The Best “Sound Maps” & Webcams For Teaching Geography

Links To The Joint Projects My ELL Geography Class Did With Classes Around The World –

1. Thanks for the great collection of geography-related resources and in particular for including the link to sound maps! To highlight the ways that music and sound can connect with geography and getting to know the world, we recently posted about connecting children to the world through sound. We linked to some of your related posts and hope that it might be of interest or use to some of your readers!