ebook

Through a tweet by Katherine Schulten earlier this week, I learned about an announcement by the White House about the new free Open eBooks app and program.

If you teach at a Title One school, on a military base, or are a special education teacher anywhere in the U.S., you can gain access for your students to the Open eBooks app. That app allows students to upload up to ten books at a time, which can continually be replenished. And the book catalog looks extraordinary. Here’s the list:

• Bloomsbury: Providing unlimited access to over 1,000 of its most popular titles.
  • Candlewick: Providing unlimited access to all relevant children’s and young-adult eBook titles in their catalog.
  • Cricket Media: Offering full digital access to all of its market-leading magazines for children and young adults, including Ladybug and Cricket.
  • Hachette: Offering access to a robust catalog of their popular and award-winning titles.
  • HarperCollins: Providing a vast selection of their award-winning and popular titles.
  • Lee & Low: Providing unlimited access to over 700 titles from this leading independent publisher of multicultural books.
  • Macmillan: Providing unlimited access to all of the K-12 age-appropriate titles in their catalog of approximately 2,500 books.
  • National Geographic: Providing unlimited access to all of their age-appropriate content.
  • Penguin Random House: Committing to provide an extensive offering of their popular and award-winning books.
  • Simon & Schuster: Providing access to their entire e-catalog of books for children ages 4-14, comprised of 3,000 titles.

Students can read them on a tablet or smartphone, and a web version is coming later this year.

This seems to me like an amazing opportunity. You can sign-up for it here and read more about it at Ed Surge’s article, The White House and Michelle Obama Release $250M ‘Open eBooks’ App for Title I and Special Education Teachers.

I’ve embedded a video from Michelle Obama announcing the app at the bottom of this post.

I’m adding this info to: