The Best Resources About “Culturally Responsive Teaching” & “Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy” – Please Share More!

3337935433

The majority of students in U.S. schools are students of color, and the vast majority of educators who teach them are white.

Two of the most common strategies/philosophies guiding how teachers of all races can be better teachers to students of color are “culturally responsive teaching” and “culturally sustaining pedagogy.”

Here are how well-known advocates of each describe them:

Zaretta Hammond:

In a nutshell, culturally responsive teaching is about helping culturally and linguistically diverse students who have been marginalized in schools build their skill and capacity to do rigorous work. The focus isn’t on motivation but on improving their brainpower and information processing skills.

Django Paris:

A few years ago, I introduced CSP as teaching and learning that seeks to perpetuate and foster linguistic, literate, and cultural pluralism as part of the democratic project of schooling and as a needed response to demographic and social change. I was building off the foundational work of Gloria Ladson-Billings, work that continues to lead our visions of educational equity. CSP asks us to imagine and enact teaching and learning that forwards multiple ways with language, literacy, and culture against the backdrop of an educational system that continues to be centered largely on White, middle class, monolingual, cis-heteropatriarchal, and abliest norms of achievement.

You might also be interested in A Collection Of Useful Posts, Articles & Videos On Race & Racism – Help Me Find More, which contains a number of related links, including quite a few on the need for more teachers of color.

This list is a beginning one, and I’ll be adding far more – including suggestions from readers:

‘Culturally Responsive Teaching’: An Interview With Zaretta Hammond is an interview that appeared in my Education Week Teacher column.

Making Connections: Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain is an interview with Zaretta that appeared in Edutopia. Thanks to Akilah Ellison for the tip.

3 Tips to Make Any Lesson More Culturally Responsive (and it’s not what you think!) is by Zaretta Hammond and appeared at Cult of Pedagogy.

No, DeAndre. It’s Not Your Imagination: What the DOJ Report Tells Us about Implicit Bias and Validation is by Zaretta Hammond.

‘It is Long Past Time to Meet the Needs of Students of Color’ is Part One of a series co-hosted by Django and Travis Bristol at my Ed Week Teacher column.

Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy ‘Increases Student Engagement & Learning’ is Part Two of that series.

Teachable Moments and Academic Rigor: A Mini-Unit is by Travis Bristol and Claude Goldenberg.

Here are additional posts that are related, though I’m not sure if they specifically fit into either of the earlier two categories:

‘For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood…’: An Interview With Chris Emdin is another recent post at my Ed Week Teacher column.

On the Importance of Mirrors for Students (and Teachers) appeared in The Huffington Post.

Teachers undo personal biases to help students of color engage is from Colorado Public Radio.

Read This: “Teachers More Likely to Label Black Students as Troublemakers” is by Renee Moore.

Educate to Liberate: Build an Anti-Racist Classroom is from Edutopia.

10 Ways Well-Meaning White Teachers Bring Racism Into Our Schools is from Everyday Feminism.

Understanding Implicit Bias: What Educators Should Know is from the AFT.

How to Change White Teachers’ Lenses is from Slate.

Relationship Building Through Culturally Responsive Classroom Management is by Todd Finley.

The National Association for Multicultural Education

What Is ‘Culturally Competent’ Teaching? (Videos) is from Ed Week.

Matching Student Resources With Student Experiences is by Jordan Lanfair.

Reading Your Way to a Culturally Responsive Classroom is from NAEYC. I’m adding to the same list.

But That’s Just Good Teaching! The Case for Culturally Relevant Pedagogy is by Gloria Ladson-Billings.

This is a useful infographic on culturally responsive teaching.

Culturally Responsive Teaching & The Brain is by Zaretta Hammond.

Working to Build a Multicultural Classroom is from Middleweb.

7 Tips to Implement Culturally Responsive Teaching is geared specifically for ELLs.

Culturally Responsive Classrooms is from Scholastic.

Equity and Cultural Responsiveness is from Just Ask Publications. I’m adding it to Rick Wormeli shared it on Twitter.

Four Ways Teachers Can Support Students of Color is by Jennifer Gonzalez.

9 THINGS EVERY EDUCATOR NEEDS TO KNOW WHEN TEACHING BLACK STUDENTS is from Philly’s 7th Ward.

3 Lessons Learned When Bringing to Life Culturally Responsive Practices is by DR. YEMI STEMBRIDGE.

Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: An Interview With Zaretta Hammond is from Corwin.

How Leaders Can Improve Their Schools’ Cultural Competence is by Chris Lehmann.

Are You Practicing Culturally Responsive Teaching? is from Valentina Gonzalez.

Author Interview: ‘Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies’ is the headline of one of my Education Week Teacher columns.  In it, Django Paris and H. Samy Alim agreed to answer a few questions about their new book, “Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies: Teaching and Learning for Justice in a Changing World.”

What Culturally Responsive Teaching Sounds Like is by Sean Riley.

Culturally Responsive Teaching: 4 Misconceptions appeared in Cult of Pedagogy.

How to Create Culturally Responsive Classrooms is by Valentina Gonzalez and appeared at Middleweb.

Again, this is just a beginning of a list, and I will be adding more. I look forward to your suggestions!

1. Teach Away – a teacher recruitment and PD company recently built an online learning course called: Culturally responsive teaching: Connecting with students and parents of different cultures: https://www.teachaway.com/courses/culturally-responsive-teaching.

The course was built with Arti Joshi (https://eeced.tcnj.edu/department-info/faculty-profiles/arti-joshi/)

It’s a great course for teachers looking for practical takeaways that can be immediately applied to their classrooms.