Good Classroom Management Advice For Everybody

Teaching Traumatized Kids is an article in The Atlantic that discusses how a school is dealing with “toxic stress” among its student body.

The description of what they’re doing, however, is good and what should be basic advice for every school and teacher:

Dont-take-anything-the

Here’s the trailer for the film on the high school, along with some “bonus content”

Paper Tigers Trailer – KPJR Films from KPJR FILMS LLC on Vimeo.

I’m adding this info to The Best Posts On Classroom Management.

1. “Don’t take things too personally” is good advice in ESL no matter what age you’re teaching.
    I teach adult ESL students and, due to their age, I don’t have nearly the amount of problems that I did when I was teaching middle school students. However, I’ve received emails from students including sentences like “I want you to help me” or “You must help me” which came off as demanding and rude, but were direct translations from their language and they didn’t realize their implications in English. Or in class, some students from different cultures aren’t as “smiley” as we Americans are, and therefore come off as unhappy or mean.
    A little off topic here, but I enjoyed this post and just wanted to share a different angle.