The Best Data On How Much Money Teachers Pay Out Of Their Own Pocket – What Do You Spend?

3407402643

The beginning of the year is often the time when teachers cough up the most cash for supplies – I know it’s when I do! During the rest of the year, most of the rest of the money I spend is on having students pick books off of Amazon that I buy for them.

Here is the data out there on what teachers spend. I tend to think most of the data lowballs our outlays. I know I’m certainly in the $1,000 range.

How about you? Tell me in the comments or on Twitter and I’ll write up the results in a future post:

Vox published a number of very good charts on the same topic (I’d encourage you to check out Most teachers spend hundreds to pay for supplies, special projects, even field trips).

They presented, in a much less “busy” form, information from a Horace Mann survey (they also included info from other surveys). You can see the entire Mann survey here, but here’s a particularly interesting chart:

mann

Ellen heaps prizes on teacher who pays for class supplies out of her own pocket is an article in The Washington Post about a Ellen DeGeneres’ effort to give teachers gift cards.

Here’s an interesting statistic from the article:

The-average-US-teacher

Teachers Spend Way Too Much Of Their Own Money On School Supplies, And Here’s Proof is from The Huffington Post.

Survey: We Teachers Spend A Lot Of Our Own Money On Students

Statistic Of The Day: Yes, We Teachers Buy A Lot Of Food For Our Students To Eat

Teachers spend nearly $500 a year on supplies. Under the GOP tax bill, they will no longer get a tax deduction.