3097374237

John Hattie & his colleague Gregory M. Donoghue have released a “monster” study on learning strategies titled Learning strategies: a synthesis and conceptual model. It’s available online and is not behind a paywall.

I learned about it through Pedro De Bruyckere, who wrote a thoughtful analysis of it titled John Hattie proposes a new conceptual model for learning on his blog. Unfortunately, there seems to be a glitch on that particular blog post, so I can’t link directly to it. However, I have linked to his general blog site and you should be able to find it from there.

I’m not familiar with Mr. Donoghue’s work, though have a great deal of respect for John Hattie. The paper is pretty ambitious – they are proposing a new model for learning simply summarized as one of “skill, will, and thrill.”

Unfortunately, because of the academic language required for these kinds of publications, I’m not sure how accessible the primary points they are making will be to many teachers (including me!).

However, a portion of the paper will, indeed, be a must-read for just about every teacher, and it’s the portion where they have several tables listing the effectiveness of many learning strategies. They incorporate the results of many studies beyond Hattie’s famous ranking of them.

That section begins here: Results: the meta-synthesis of learning strategies (fortunately, they’ve set it up so that it’s easy to link to specific sections). Scroll down through them and won’t find a more useful or current listing of learning strategies anywhere else.

I suspect they’ll develop a more layperson-friendly summary of their theory but, in the meantime, they’ve done a great service for teachers everywhere by this learning strategies listing and analysis.

I’m adding this info to The Best Resources For Learning About “Learning Strategies.”