A Beginning List Of The Best Resources On Virtual Reality In Education

See Everything You Wanted To Know About How We’re Using Virtual Reality With ELLs, But Were Afraid To Ask

My student teachers and I have been making some initial attempts at trying out Google Cardboard with my English Language Learner students (I bought a few plastic ones from IMCardboard – the actual cardboard ones are just too flimsy for my high school classroom).

Unfortunately, the WiFi doesn’t seem up to the task of streaming VR videos. Until we work out that problem, we’re going to experiment with using photos.  One lesson we’re planning to try is to write up a list of the elements that make-up a good VR photo, explore two of them, and then have students write a short argument essay about which one is better (we’re in the middle of an argument essay unit).  Of course, we could do the same exercise with regular photos, but I suspect engagement will be higher doing it this way.

After that experiment is complete, we’ll start using it in our World and U.S. History classes.  I’m still trying to figure out what value-added benefit it gives if we can’t access the VR videos.  All suggestions are welcome (we also have a camera that can take 360 photos, and I’m trying to figure out how we can use that, too).

In the meantime, I thought it would be useful to bring together my past posts about Virtual Reality in education, along with new resources I’ve been collecting.  Feel free to offer your own suggestions.

You might also be interested in  The Best Resources For Organizing & Maximizing Field Trips – Both “Real” & “Virtual”

Here’s what I have so far:

Google Rolls-Out The Coolest Way – Ever – For Students To Take Virtual Field Trip

20 Best VR Apps for Google Cardboard from MakeUseof looks interesting.

Is virtual reality ready for school? is from Brookings.

Reader Idea | New York Times Virtual Reality in the Classroom is from The New York Times Learning Network.

5 Apps to Use with Google Cardboard is from Class Tech Tips.

Ripping Learning off the Page is from Edutopia.

Teachers eye potential of virtual reality to enhance science instruction is from Ed Source.

Coincidentally, later today, Richard Byrne is hosting a Google Hangout on this very topic. If you can’t make it, I assume it will be archived (it is, and you can find it here).

Kathy Schrock has a nice collection of resources.

9 Must-Have Virtual Reality Tools for Teaching with Google Cardboard is from Class Tech Tips.

Virtual Reality Could Transform Education as We Know It is from Ed Week.

Future Ready: VR, AR, and MR in the classroom beyond the novelty is by Micah Shippee.

“Speak To Go” Could Be A Fun Tool For A Student-Centered Geography Lesson

Google Unveils Virtual Reality Tours Related To Alexander Hamilton

Embed 360° photos and Virtual Reality (VR) Content is from Edublogs.

IATEFL presentation : Virtual Reality in the EFL Class is from IATEFL.

Using virtual reality to step into others’ shoes is from The Hechinger Report.

Tips For Getting Started With 360° Photos And Virtual Reality (VR) Content is by Sue Waters.

Augmented Reality vs. Virtual Reality – What’s the Difference? is from Voice of America.

Augmented Reality vs. Virtual Reality is from Richard Byrne.

Video: Google Expeditions Announces New Augmented Reality Program For Schools

1. YouTube stream for a limited number of viewers, the bandwidth in schools will never support large scale use..ie. 20 mr viewers on the same wifi base station with several hundred across the school.

Local hosting may be a better option..using 802.11AC gives smooth running playback.
    Editing tools for 360 video(a better term than VR) allows layer overlay of text graphics and animations (AR)
    ..maybe time to rename the description to mixed realities ie. MR

2. I have a fairly comprehensive list of resources about the Use of VR to support teaching and learning on this page. http://bit.ly/schrockvr