“Knowledge” & Bloom’s Pyramid

There’s been a recent flurry of activity by some to redesign Bloom’s Taxonomy by questioning whether “knowledge” should be at the bottom. Personally, I interpret knowledge being at the bottom not saying students shouldn’t prioritize learning and educators teaching it but, instead, suggesting that application of knowledge is harder to teach and learn (which is why knowledge transfer is such a challenge – see The Best Resources For Learning About The Concept Of “Transfer” — Help Me Find More). That, I think, is the key value in the taxonomy – reminding us to put effort into areas of learning that it is easy for teachers to avoid.

But I have a great deal of respect for the folks who have been raising this question, so I’m adding this info to The Best Resources For Helping Teachers Use Bloom’s Taxonomy In The Classroom:

BLOOM’S TAXONOMY—THAT PYRAMID IS A PROBLEM is by Doug Lemov.

Didau’s Taxonomy

1. As one of the authors of the revised Bloom’s Taxonomy I would simply point out that the revised Taxonomy is 2-dimensional, with knowldge as a separate dimension. Your triangle represents only the second dimension — the cognitive process dimension. For a short, readable discussion of the revision I would suggest the journal Theory into Practice, Volume 41, 2002, entire issue.