The Best Resources On Developing A Sense Of Community In The Classroom

Several studies have been published over the past month related to the idea of how individual members of a group (co-workers, students) can do better cooperating in a supportive atmosphere than if everybody is working on their own.

I’ve published several posts about them and, as I’ve said in those posts, they go along with a push I made late in the last school year on “Everybody Is A Teacher.”

Here are links to those posts, along with some other related resources (I’ll be putting them all together into a lesson that I’ll share at a later date):

Bingo! There Are Issues With This Study On Grit & ELLs, But I Am Sure Going To Use It With My Students

“Everyone Is A Teacher” Is A New Engagement Strategy I’m Using & It Seems To Be Working

Intriguing Research On How To Increase Intrinsic Motivation

Focusing On The Impact Classroom Disruptions Have On Others, Not On The Students Doing The Disrupting

Here is an article I wrote for Education Week (which was later reprinted in The Washington Post) that includes an activity I do at the beginning of each school year to help students decide if they want to be a “classroom of students” or a “community of learners.”

For English-Learners, a Positive Side to Peer Pressure is from Ed Week.

Another related resource is The Best Resources For Teaching & Learning About The “Helper’s High.”

You might also be interested in The Best Resources On Students Having A “Purpose For Learning”

Feel free to make other suggestions….

A few ideas here on creating community: https://eflrecipes.com/managers-office/