The Best Resources For Teaching About Confederate Monuments

As witnessed by this past weekend’s events, monuments to the Confederacy continue to be used by white supremacists to support their ideology.

I’ve shared many other related resources (see A Collection Of Useful Posts, Articles & Videos On Race & Racism – Help Me Find More), but I thought a specific one on these monuments might be helpful to teachers.

Feel free to let me about about ones I’ve missed:

I’ve previously posted Read, Listen, Watch New Orleans Mayor’s Speech On The Removal Of Confederate Monuments and New PBS News Hour Video Segment: “Why Confederate monuments are coming down.”

Confederate Monuments and Their Removal seems like a decent lesson plan from the Anti-Defamation League.

The debate over Confederate monuments and how to remember the Civil War makes an interesting point about a difference between “memory” and “history.” I might use it in IB Theory of Knowledge.

Confederate Monuments and the ‘Searing Truth’ is a lesson idea from The Morningside Center.

As Confederate Monuments Come Down, Teachers Wrestle With Class Discussion is from Ed Week.

Debate over US Confederate monuments intensifies is from Al Jazeera.

Robert E. Lee Topples From His Pedestal is from The Atlantic.

How other countries have dealt with monuments to dictators, fascists and racists is from The Washington Post.

Statues of Washington, Jefferson Aren’t ‘Next,’ But It’s Complicated, Historians Say is from NBC News.

Why Lee Should Go, and Washington Should Stay appeared in The New York Times.

Historians: No, Mr. President, Washington and Jefferson are not the same as Confederate generals. is from The Washington Post.

The Confederate General Who Was Erased appeared in The Huffington Post.

Confederate Statues and ‘Our’ History is from The NY Times.

Here’s an important “take” from The Atlanta Black Star, Rethinking Removing Confederate Memorials: Why This May Not Work Out As Planned:

The tragedy of racial hate and the focus on racial symbol is that because they are monopolizing the national conversation, no one is talking about what it really means to be discriminated against.

Teaching History in Troubled Times is by Marc Tucker.

How to Repurpose a Bad Statue is from The Atlantic.

Toppling Monuments, a Visual History is from The New York Times.

Historians warn against rushing to take down statues is from The Associated Press.

Great Interactive For Class Discussion On What To Do With Controversial Statues

Goodbye, Yosemite. Hello, What? is from The New York Times (it’s not clear from the headline its connection to Confederate monuments but it’s there).

We’re still fighting, more than 150 years after Appomattox is from The Associated Press.

The way that Taiwan, India, and other countries deal with statues that symbolize ugly pasts is from Quartz.

How Lithuania dealt with its Soviet statues is from The Economist.

What Trump’s Generation Learned About the Civil War is from The Atlantic.

Far From Dixie, Outcry Grows Over a Wider Array of Monuments is from The New York Times.

Excellent Article On Confederate Monuments For TOK Classes

After Charlottesville: Public Memory and the Contested Meaning of Monuments is a lesson plan from Facing History.

1. Thanks for this Larry – great resources for me and my classes!