The Best Advice To Content Teachers About Supporting English Language Learners

I have several “Best” lists providing recommendations to teachers of different content subjects if they have English Language Learners in their classrooms (I’ll share links to them in a moment).

However, we’re all very busy, and some teachers are not going to create the time to go through a bunch of posts and articles.

That’s one reason I previously published The Best Videos For Content Teachers With ELLs In Their Classes – Please Suggest More.  That list contains what I think are the best short (four-or-five minutes each) videos that can show helpful examples to – as the title suggests – content teachers.

Today’s list is basically a text version of that one – I’m sharing a handful of short pieces that can be scanned by a content teacher to get basic helpful advice for teaching ELLs.

I’m intentionally keeping this list short.  However, if you think I’ve missed any excellent overviews out there, please do let me know.

Here are the “Best” lists where I have a longer list of specialized content resources:

The Best Resources For Teaching Common Core Math To English Language Learners

The Best Resources For Teaching The Next Generation Science Standards To English Language Learners

The Best Resources On Assisting ELLs With Special Needs – Help Me Find More

Here’s a more generalized list:

The Best Sites For Learning Strategies To Teach ELL’s In Content Classes

My books on teaching ELLs also have extensive chapters on teaching Social Studies and Art to ELLs.

Here are my recommendations for articles giving The Best Advice To Content Teachers About Supporting English Language Learners:

Do’s & Don’ts For Teaching English Language Learners is an excerpt from one of the books Katie Hull and I have written.

Four Surefire Techniques for Engaging English Language Learners is an excellent article by Valentina Gonzalez.

A Quick-Start Guide for Teaching English-Language Learners is by Wendi Pillars.

12 Ways to Support English Learners in the Mainstream Classroom is by Jennifer Gonzalez.

Supporting ELLs in the Mainstream Classroom: Language Tips is from Colorin Colorado.