Bill Gates has just announced a new $1.7 billion initiative for schools.

One good element is that his foundation will no longer fund teacher evaluation efforts.  As for what everything else looks like – the devil will be in the details.

You can read more about it at:

Bill Gates has a(nother) plan for K-12 public education. The others didn’t go so well. from Valerie Strauss at The Washington Post

Gates Foundation Announces New $1.7B for K-12 is from Education Week.

Here are some of my previous posts about his past efforts:

Videotaping teachers the right way (not the Gates way) (which I still think is the the best piece I’ve ever written)

The Best Posts Responding To Bill Gates’ Appallingly Clueless Op-Ed Piece

The Best Posts On The Gates’ Funded Measures Of Effective Teaching Report

A Beginning List Of The Best Posts On Gates’ Final MET “Effective Teaching” Report

Gates Foundation Minimizing Great Tools For Helping Teachers Improve Their Craft

Gates Foundation’s Mea Culpa

L.A. Times Editorial Tears Into Gates Foundation

Quote Of The Day: Gates Official Says They Game Their Research (No Surprise, But Still Not Good)

Why a new Bill Gates interview depressed Larry Ferlazzo. appeared in The Washington Post.

One Of The Worst Tweets I Read This Week Came From The Gates Foundation

Will It Ever Be Possible For A Teacher To Trust Bill Gates?

Microsoft Eliminates Its Own Destructive VAM Rankings; However, Gates Still Seems Focused On Using It For Us

Gates Foundation Makes Its Move In California — And It Looks Like Somebody Is Giving Them Good Advice

Gates Foundation Discovers It’s Important To Listen To Teachers — Better Late Than Never