Another day, another mid-year “The Best…” list…..

I’m adding this post to All 2018 Mid-Year “Best” Lists – In One Place!

Ordinarily, I also publish a separate list for ELL students, but just didn’t have it in me to do that this month.  You can see links to all those past posts at The Best Websites For English Language Learner Students In 2015 – Part Two.  I’ve included resources that I would ordinarily put in that list in this post, instead.

You might also be interested in:

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2017 – Part Two

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2017 – So Far

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2016 – Part Two

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers of ELLs in 2016 – So Far

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2015 – Part Two

The Best Websites For English Language Learner Students In 2015 – So Far

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2014 – Part Two

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2014 – So Far

The “All-Time” Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of English Language Learners

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2013 – Part Two

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELLs In 2013 – So Far

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELL’s In 2012 — Part Two

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELL’s In 2012 — Part One

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELL’s In 2011 — Part Two

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELL’s In 2011 — Part One

The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELL’s — 2010

The Best Sites For Teachers Of English Language Learners — 2009

Here are my choices for The Best Resources, Articles & Blog Posts For Teachers Of ELL’s In 2018 – So Far:

Guest Post: Teaching the Language of Science

Video: My Thirty Minute Presentation On Teaching English Language Learners

“‘Every Teacher’ has to Help ELLs Meet Common Core Standards”

Guest Post: Supporting ELLs In Math Instruction

Guest Post: Teaching Math To English Language Learners

Guest Post: “Speaking of Math: It’s time to talk in class”

Guest Post: “Support Reading, Support Mathematics Understanding”

Highlights From Last Two Weeks Of The Online Book Chat About Our New ELL Book

Another Reason iSLCollective Is One Of Top Sites For ELLs – Their New Online Homework Feature!

“Four games for vocabulary development”

Highlights From First Two Weeks Of The Online Book Chat About Our New ELL Book

“Culturally Responsive Teaching in the ELL Classroom”

Video: Katie & I Share ELL Instructional Strategies

“How to Use Oral Presentations to Help English Language Learners Succeed”

ALL Student Reproducibles From Our New Book Are Now Available To Everybody!

How Our Intermediate ELLs Taught Our Beginner ELLs About World War One Today

“Micro-Writing for English Learners” Is My New Article In ASCD’s “Educational Leadership”

Three Videos Of English Language Learners Giving Advice To Teachers

“Active Listening: Using Times Videos, Podcasts and Articles to Practice a Key Skill”

Grading English Language Learners – A Perspective From Two Teachers

English Language Learners Tell Us What Helps Them Learn

Geography Writing Frames For ELLs (They Can Be Used In Other Subjects, Too)

Here’s My Tentative Plan For A Support Class For Long-Term English Language Learners – Tell Me How I Can Make It Better

Wow! Amazing New Video Created By Smithsonian Will Probably Be Used In A Zillion ELL Classes

“Fifteen ways to adapt your textbook so your students aren’t bored to death”

New Research Quantifies The Vocabulary Improvement Generated By Reading – Here’s How I Plan To Use It In Class

One Of My Favorite – & Easiest – ELL Activities To Practice Speaking (Links & Recordings Included)

The Best Resources On “Differentiated Grading” For English Language Learners

A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners

It’s Christmas In May! Sac Library Now Lets Our Students Access Tons Of Online Resources By Student ID

Great Tool For Creating Sequencing Activities

Fun Activity For ELLs – Choose The MOST Correct Caption

Update On The Pilot Class Providing Support To Long-Term ELLs I’ll Be Teaching Next Year

Here Are Slides I Used In An Eight-Minute Presentation To Our Faculty – “Teaching ELLs”

New Study Finds That Teens Can Learn A New Language As Quickly As Younger Children

“How to Engage ELLs in Literary Conversations”

New Video: English Language Learners Share What Helps Them Learn

Ed Week Publishes Excerpt From Our New Book – Section On “Helping English-Learners End the School Year Strong”

Edutopia Publishes Excerpt From Our New Book – Section On “Activating Prior Knowledge”

Very Useful Twitter List For ELL/ESL/ELT Educators

“One Met. Many Worlds” Is A Cool Multilingual Art Gallery From The Met

“Everything you Wanted to Know About Dual Immersion but Were Afraid to ask”

Study Shows Positive Impact Of Ed Tech On ELLs & Students With Special Needs

Langston Hughes Was Born On This Day In 1902 – Here Are Two Good Lessons For ELLs Using His Poetry

Padlet Now Lets You Record Audio – Zooms To The Top Of Most Useful Web 2.0 Tools For ELLs

If You Want To Know Who ELLs Are & Where They Are, This New Website Is For You

Using “The Diary Of Anne Frank” With ELL Newcomers!

A Fourth Step: “I Do, We Do, You Do” and then “You Teach”

Do You Want To Use This Survey With Your Intermediate & Advanced ELLs?

Lots Of Good Tidbits On Teaching English Language Learners

Here’s How I’m Trying To Incorporate More Retrieval Practice In Class – Let Me Know How I Can Improve

Second Statistic Of The Day: Many Cartoon Villains Speak in Foreign Accents

Using “Quick, Draw!” With ELLs & Other Students

Interview With Eddie Williams, ELL Teacher Featured In “The Newcomers”

“‘The Newcomers’: An Interview with Helen Thorpe”

iCivics Adds Bilingual Social Studies Game

LyricsGaps Gets Even Better – Now ALL Existing Songs Can Be Assigned & Student Progress Monitored

Four New Additions To Best Sites For English Language Learners

How refugee children make American education stronger is from The Conversation. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Looking At Our Students Through The Lens Of Assets & Not Deficits.

Family Separations at the Border: What Educators Need to Know is from Colorin Colorado. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The Terrible Practice Of Separating Immigrant Parents From Their Children.

VirtuEL is a free online professional development event for teachers of ELLs that took place last Saturday (I have a session, too). You can learn all about it here, including watching the video presentations at your leisure.

Why Teaching English Through Content Is Critical for ELL Students is from MindShift. I’m adding it to Best Posts On Writing Instruction.

Emotional Scaffolds: Reducing Barriers to Comprehension is from Tan Huynh.

How to teach conversational lessons is a great post from CECILIA NOBRE ELT BLOG. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Developing English Conversational Skills. You might also be interested in The Best Sites To Practice Speaking English.

Focused Error Correction – how you can make a time-consuming necessity more effective and manageable is by Gianfranco Conti. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On ESL/EFL/ELL Error Correction.

Supporting English Language Learners Through Station Rotation is from ASCD. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Planning “Learning Stations” – Please Add More.

7 Things to Do NOW for Our ELL Writers is by Valentina Gonzalez.

Beyond Delivering Lessons: Engineering Student Interactions is from Tan Huynh.

Usable Knowledge at Harvard has published an impressive guide to Welcoming Newcomers.

Wait Time Can Make or Break Your Lesson is by Valentina Gonazalez. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On The Idea Of “Wait Time”

Why You Need to Try Tourbuilder with Newcomers is by Wendi Pillars.

Seven Step Vocabulary is a video from The Teaching Channel. I’m adding it to The Best Sites Where ELL’s Can Learn Vocabulary.

Don’t Underestimate, Shortchange ELLs With Disabilities, Researcher Argues is from Ed Week. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On Assisting ELLs With Special Needs – Help Me Find More.

Unlocking Learning II: Math as a Lever for English Learner Equity is a new report from West Ed. Ed Week also has a good summary. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Teaching Common Core Math To English Language Learners.

The Teaching Channel has a nice video on Scaffolding Text Structure for ELLs, though it’s useful for everybody. I’m adding it to The Best Scaffolded Writing Frames For Students.

Engaging Newcomers in Language and Content is a new series of videos from The Teaching Channel. I’m adding it to The Best Online Videos Showing ESL/EFL Teachers In The Classroom.

The British Council has what appears to be a relatively new feature called the Video Zone. It has videos and, importantly, accompanying interactive games. I’m adding it to The Best Popular Movies/TV Shows For ESL/EFL.

Schools’ Civil Rights Obligations to English Learner Students and Limited English Proficient Parents is a very useful site from the U.S. Department of Education.

The British Council has math glossaries in several different languages, including Persian. I’m adding them to The Best Multilingual & Bilingual Sites For Math, Social Studies, & Science.

How to Teach English to Beginners Using Art is from Think English. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Using Art As A Way To Teach & Learn English – Help Me Find More.

Voice Tube looks sort of like a not-as-sophisticated English Central, though I don’t mean that as an insult.  It has a limited collection of videos, but seems to have several, though not all, of the features at English Central.  Nik Peachey writes about it here. It’s web-based, but also has phone apps, so I’m adding it to The Best Mobile Apps For English Language Learners

18 WAYS TO SUPPORT ENGLISH LEARNERS IN YOUR CLASSROOM IN 2018 (OR EVER!) is by Valentina Gonzalez.

The Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools has developed an incredible collection of multilingual glossaries for just about every academic subject area and grade.

Gap-fill, Sentence Writing or Composition – Which Task Leads to Better Vocabulary Learning? is from ELT Research Bites. I’m adding it to The Best Tools For Creating Clozes (Gap-Fills).

You’ll want to check out all of Carol Salva’s podcasts on teaching ELLs: