Doing academic research can be a pain-in-the-butt, especially if you don’t teach at a four-year institution that has lots of institutional access to it.

But there are tools out there that make it easier, and I’ve written about several of them.

I thought it would be useful to bring them all-together in one post. Let me know if I’m missing anything:

Author Path is a free tool to help university students write theses or journal articles. I had my daughter check it out (she just completed her Masters Thesis), and she says it would have been very helpful to her.

“Google Scholar” Alerts Could Be Very Helpful For Research

The Best Commentaries On Sci-Hub, The Tool Providing Access to 50 Million Academic Papers For Free

Sci-Hub Loses Domain Names, But Remains Resilient

“Unpaywall” Is New Tool For Accessing Research Papers For Free

“Iris.ia” Seems Like A Very Useful Research Tool

New Tool for Open-Access Research is from Inside Higher Ed.

The Real Cost of Knowledge:The University of California has broken with one of the world’s largest academic publishers. Is this the end of a very profitable business model? is from The Atlantic.

Frase lets you find, and then summarizes for you, research. It seems to me like a super-charged “Explore” button that you found on the bottom of Google Docs.