I was searching for something else on the Web today, and happened to instead find a nice short PDF called “Fifty Stimulating Classroom Starters” for ESL/EFL classes. It was put together by Jack Bailey and Marit ter Mate-Martinsen. It’s well worth a look. Share...Read More
Search Results for: classroom starters
Editor’s Note: This is the fifth in a series of guest posts that will be appearing on this blog about teaching math to English Language Learners. I’ll be posting them over the next few weeks, and adding each one to The Best Resources For Teaching Common Core Math To English Language Learners. The first in the series was “Speaking of Math: It’s time to talk in class” by Alycia Owen. The second was “Support Reading, Support Mathematics Understanding” by Cindy Garcia. The third was Teaching Math To English Language Learners by Hannah Davis. The fourth was Supporting ELLs in Math Instruction by Nicholas Pesola Today’s post is by Sarah Peterson Sarah Peterson is a mathematics teacher for 10 years in the New York City Public Schools. She has taught Algebra 1 and Geometry to the ELL and SPed population throughout her career. Sarah can be reached via email, email@example.com. When I tell someone outside of Teacher World that I teach math to English Language Learners I continuously hear the same two responses. The first is “You must speak Spanish ” Well the truth is, I don’t. Not even after six years of taking it in school, and teaching math to ELL’s for ten years. Even if I did, it wouldn’t help me too much because I have students from Ghana, Yemen, Albania and Bangladesh in the room. The second is “Well isn’t math just numbers,...Read More
Here are some nice collections of printable academic sentence-starters that I’m adding to The Best Websites For Developing Academic English Skills & Vocabulary: 26 Sentence Stems For Higher-Level Conversation In The Classroom is from Teach Thought. SENTENCE FRAMES FOR ENGLISH LEARNERS is from a school district. Sentence Frames is from Miss Hultenius. MRS. HILLIKER’S EL AND SIOP TOOLBOX Another school district’s downloadable list. Let me know what I’m missing! Share...Read More
(NOTE: Usually, I just publish on edition of “Instruction Resources” each week. However, I’m making exception this weekend because of all the great resources that have recently been published) Each week, I publish a post containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in The Best Articles (And Blog Posts) Offering Practical Advice & Resources To Teachers In 2015 – So Far and The Best Resources On Class Instruction of 2016 – So Far. Here are this week’s picks: This crowdsourced collection of Doug Lemov-inspired “Confident Letters of Intent” (basically, academic sentence frames and starters) is fantastic. It comes to me via James Theobald on Twitter. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Writing Instruction. Remember To Model is by by Nancy Frey and Douglas Fisher. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On “Close Reading” — Help Me Find More. The Art Of Peer Teaching is from 3 Star Learning Experience. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Helping Students Teach Their Classmates — Help Me Find More. Beyond The Bullet: Do Rubrics Corrupt Thinking? is by Heather Wolpert-Gawron. I’m adding it to The Best Rubric Sites (And A Beginning Discussion About Their Use). @Doug_Lemov – Love ending Entry Ticket w/ a disc'n question. Great flipped hw on days we read a play aloud...Read More
Each week, I publish a post containing three or four particularly useful resources on classroom instruction, and you can see them all here. You might also be interested in The Best Articles (And Blog Posts) Offering Practical Advice & Resources To Teachers In 2015 – So Far. Here are this week’s picks: Kappan’s Common Core Writing Project is “a forum for ideas about implementing the Common Core standards. We invite educators to share stories about what works (and what doesn’t) in realizing the best 21st-century education for all children.” I’m adding it to The Most Useful Resources For Implementing Common Core — I Hope You’ll Contribute More. Reforming the Teaching of History Then and Now (Part 1) and Then and Now in Reforming the Teaching of History (Part 2) are both by Larry Cuban. 100% Upgrades offers some useful classroom management advice from Doug Lemov. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Classroom Management. You might also be interested in The Best Commentaries On “Teach Like A Champion” – Help Me Find More. Books My Reluctant Readers Love To Read is from Kelly Gallagher. Teachers’ New Homework: a ‘Watchman’ Plan is from The Wall Street Journal. Educator Cornelius Minor has graciously shared some helpful sheets for teaching reading comprehension. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Reading Strategies & Comprehension – Help Me Find More!. Motivation and instruction is from...Read More
Subscribe By Email
Most popular posts
- Answers To "What Do You Do On The First Day Of School?"
- List Of Knowledge Questions My TOK Students Are Using This Year For Their Oral Presentations
- I Think This New NPR Video Is A 'Must-Watch' For Every Teacher: "The Power of Expectations"
- The Best Sites For Teaching About Latitude & Longitude
- The Best Places To Get The "Same" Text Written For Different "Levels"
- You're Unlikely To Find More Useful Articles To Help With Student Motivation Than These Two...
- Teachers Might Find This List Of ELL Accommodations Useful...
- A Look Back: The Best Piece Of Classroom Management Advice I Ever Read
- The Best Resources For Helping Teachers Use Bloom's Taxonomy In The Classroom
- The Best Websites For Creating Online Learning Games
- Guest Post: Evaluating Transcripts: Getting it right, one student at a time
- Study Finds Asking Questions Leads To More Second Dates – Perfect Research To Promote The Art Of…Asking Questions
- The National Day Of Writing Is On Oct. 20th – Here Are 35 Related “Best” Lists
- “Author Interview With Jennifer Serravallo: ‘Understanding Texts & Readers'”
- “The World’s Largest Lesson”
- An Effective Five-Minute Lesson On Metacognition on
- Has ICE No Shame? Undocumented Immigrants Who Volunteered To Care For Children In Custody Arrested on
- What’s The Best English Verb Tense Chart You’ve Seen? on
- The Best Resources On Class Instruction In 2018 – So Far on
- TOK Essay Prompts For May, 2018 Just Released – Here They Are, Along With Supporting Resources on