“Rothstein: Why teacher quality can’t be only centerpiece of reform” is a must-read piece by Richard Rothstein in the Washington Post. I’m adding it to The Best Posts About The Appalling Teacher-Bashing Column Superintendents Wrote In The Washington Post. Share...Read More
Search Results for: richard rothstein
I like education writer Richard Rothstein a lot, as you can see from some previous posts. I just learned that an excerpt from his excellent book, Class and Schools: Using Social, Economic, and Educational Reform To Close The Black-White Achievement Gap. is available online. I also included several quotes from his book in my own, Building Parent Engagement In Schools. I use his research to help reinforce why schools need to work with parents to respond to the major impediments to student achievement outside the schoolhouse walls. Thanks to Susan Ohanian for the tip. Share...Read More
Anthony Cody is publishing a four-part interview with Richard Rothstein, one of my favorite writers on education issues, on his blog, Living In Dialogue. It’s well worth a visit. Thanks to John Norton for the tip. Share...Read More
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in The Best Articles, Videos & Posts On Education Policy In 2017 – So Far): Is living in poverty really a ‘mind-set’? is by Richard Rothstein. It’s a good commentary on some remarks HUD Secretary Ben Carson made earlier this summer, which I previously talked about in NY Times Publishes Best Summary Of Why Social Emotional Learning Isn’t Enough….. I’m adding it to The Best Places To Learn What Impact A Teacher (& Outside Factors) Have On Student Achievement. Trump Administration Advances School Vouchers Despite Scant Evidence is from Scientific American. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning Why School Vouchers Are A Bad Idea (& Other Commentaries On “Choice”). Education by the Numbers is from The New York Times. It provides a good overview of present ed stats. I’m adding it to The Best Places To Get Reliable, Valid, Accessible & Useful Education Data. A school where you can’t fail — it just takes you longer to learn is from The Hechinger Report. Who Benefits From the Expansion of A.P. Classes? is from The New York Times. Share...Read More
Next February, this blog will be celebrating its ten-year anniversary! Leading up to it, I’m re-starting a series I tried to do in the past called “A Look Back.” Each week, I’ll be re-posting a few of my favorite posts from the past ten years. I first began publishing “Best” lists in at the end of 2007 and the beginning of 2008 (there are now 1,600 of them!). Here are the sites I identified as the best in their respective categories for that year, along with my original commentary. Surprisingly, they are still online. Even though I wouldn’t say any one of them is still the “best” available (except, perhaps, for Henny Jellema’s site – that is an extraordinary one for Beginning ELLs), I think – apart from Tumblr – they all still provide good learning experiences: Best Web 2.0 Application For Education: Tumblr — This “micro-blogging” site upgraded their service this year. It’s a great place for students to easily post a whole lot of their work. Students can have individual or group “Tumblrs.” A student can also share their password with a small number of students who can leave comments. The Best Web 2.0 Application For ESL/EFL Learners: VoiceThread — You can upload pictures and create an audio narrative to go along with them. In addition, audio comments can be left by visitors. VoiceThread also provides a...Read More
Subscribe By Email
Most popular posts
- Answers To "What Do You Do On The First Day Of School?"
- The Best Sites For Teaching About Latitude & Longitude
- List Of Knowledge Questions My TOK Students Are Using This Year For Their Oral Presentations
- I Think This New NPR Video Is A 'Must-Watch' For Every Teacher: "The Power of Expectations"
- The Best Places To Get The "Same" Text Written For Different "Levels"
- You're Unlikely To Find More Useful Articles To Help With Student Motivation Than These Two...
- Teachers Might Find This List Of ELL Accommodations Useful...
- The Best Resources For Helping Teachers Use Bloom's Taxonomy In The Classroom
- The Best TV/Movie Scenes Demonstrating A "Growth Mindset" - Help Me Find More
- What Is The Accurate Edison Quote On Learning From Failure?
- TOK Essay Prompts For May, 2018 Just Released – Here They Are, Along With Supporting Resources on
- Guest Post: What Is Going On With IB Examiners? on
- The Best Tools For Cutting-Out & Saving Portions Of Online Videos (Or Annotating Them) on
- The Best ESL/EFL Blogs on
- TIME Magazine Cover Features Teacher Compensation Crisis on