I teach English, Social Studies and International Baccalaureate classes to English Language Learners and mainstream students at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California.

There are nine books on my resume: The ELL Teacher’s Toolbox (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski) Navigating The Common Core With English Language Learners (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Building A Community Of Self-Motivated Learners: Strategies To Help Students Thrive In School and Beyond; Classroom Management Q&As: Expert Strategies for Teaching; Self-Driven Learning: Teaching Strategies For Student Motivation; The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers To Classroom Challenges; English Language Learners: Teaching Strategies That Work; and Building Parent Engagement In Schools (with co-author Lorie Hammond).

I am presently (2018-20), editing (with Katie Hull Sypnieski) a series of practical classroom books for Social Studies, Science and Math teachers.  Katie and I are also preparing a second edition of our The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide.  In addition, I am writing a fourth book on student motivation, Building Intrinsic Motivation in the Classroom: A Practical Guide.

I’ve won several awards, including the Leadership For A Changing World Award from the Ford Foundation, and was the Grand Prize Winner of the International Reading Association Award for Technology and Reading.

In the past, when I’ve had time, I’ve taught courses in the teacher credential program at California State University, Sacramento and the University of California – Davis.

I write a popular education blog at http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/ , a weekly teacher advice column for Education Week Teacher and semi-regular posts for The New York Times and The British Council. My articles on education policy appear in the Washington Post. In addition, my articles have appeared in publications such as ASCD Educational Leadership, Social Policy, and Language Magazine.

In addition, I host a weekly radio show on BAM! Education Radio.

I was a community organizer for nineteen years prior to becoming a public school teacher.

I’m married and have three children and two grandchildren.

You can also read an interview with me that appeared in the Sacramento Bee.

Here are a few other articles that would tell you more about me and my work:

Education writer Alexander Russo interviewed me for Scholastic Magazine, and you can also see it online here as “Catching Up With Larry Ferlazzo.”

Two days after Ben Carson suggested that Saul Alinsky was, and Hillary Clinton is, a devil worshiper, the KQED Mindshift blog published an interview with me about how I apply his work in the classroom (regular readers might remember that I spent nineteen years as a community organizer with the group Alinsky founded eighty years ago). Check out Books Teachers Share: Larry Ferlazzo and Rules for Radicals.

Choice Equals Power: How to Motivate Students to Learn appeared in KQED Mindshift.

Here are about 130 articles I’ve written for other publications (those don’t include the regular posts I’ve written for a few other organizations that you can see on the homepage of this blog).

You can see a number of videos on a different page of this blog, and here are links to a few short radio interviews I’ve done:

I Chose to Be Comfortable Instead of Effective on BAM! Radio

Slate podcast of Schooled: Does Class Size Matter?

I was interviewed by Val Brown about parent engagement

Justin Baeder at Principal Center Radio interviews me about student motivation