About

I teach English, Social Studies and International Baccalaureate classes to English Language Learners and mainstream students at Luther Burbank High School in Sacramento, California.

I’ve written five books: Self-Driven Learning: Teaching Strategies For Student Motivation; The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide (with co-author Katie Hull Sypnieski); Helping Students Motivate Themselves: Practical Answers To Classroom Challenges; English Language Learners: Teaching Strategies That Work; and Building Parent Engagement In Schools (with co-author Lorie Hammond).

I’ve won several awards, including the Leadership For A Changing World Award from the Ford Foundation and was the Grand Prize Winner of the International Reading Association Award for Technology and Reading.

I write a popular education blog at http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/ , a weekly teacher advice column for Education Week Teacher and a weekly post for The New York Times. My articles on education policy regularly appear in the Washington Post and the Huffington Post. In addition, my articles have appeared in publications such as ASCD Educational Leadership, Social Policy, and Language Magazine.

I was a community organizer for nineteen years prior to becoming a public school teacher.

I’m married and have three children and two grandchildren.

You can also read an interview with me that appeared in the Sacramento Bee.

1. My partner in crime has visited your school as we are a Quality Education Investment Act (QEIA) school that must get some plans in place for next year. I just emailed your blog address to her so that she can see what an actual teacher in a wall to wall SLC school is doing. We have had two SLCs operating out of our department (business) for many years, but the rest of the school is highly reluctant to do what we do. Most of our faculty is NOT innovative so I’m hoping we can pick up some tips from you.

2. Delaine,

I gotta’ say that I think SLC’s are the way to go. Maybe I’m missing something, but I really can’t think of a reason (other than it costs more because you need more money to have enough teachers to keep your SLC “pure”) why schools would not want to do it. And, with QEIA, money isn’t an issue.

Good luck!

Larry

3. Hi Larry, saw your day in a sentence comment about the fieldtrip to SF. Ah, yes, I know the feeling well. We are done with fieldtrips this year. I did 12, one of which was to SF, but only a day trip.

dkz

4. Pingback: Tech-Ease

5. Pingback: Synthasite » SynthaSite needs your votes

6. An interesting blog. To be frank, you are doing a ggod job. I am an English teacher from Turkey. I have also created a blog to encourage my students to benefit from some audio visual English materials. I would me more than happy, if you check my blog at:

http://www.turgayevren.wordpress.com

7. Pingback: Tech Tuesdays: Using Teaching Models | Teacher Boot Camp

8. Pingback: Thing 7a - The Power of TED | Mr. Hamada's Universe

9. Pingback: How to Start a ‘Teacher 2.0′ Career - Think Outside the Box Part I | Ozge Karaoglu's Blog

10. Pingback: Thing 5: Google Reader Reflection | Brooks' Blog

11. Pingback: A community of learners or a classroom of students? | LeTeLe

12. Larry, and those weighing in with comments: Wonderful collection of resources and model for collaboration among educational professionals. I agree with points made, but would add that, despite classes that can grow in size with today’s budget cuts, good classroom management + collaborative learning + well-constructed learning activities can create small learning communities in a real sense even within larger class sizes.

13. Pingback: Cool Tools…

14. Pingback: Larry Ferlazzo on Parents as Partners Monday Feb.21, 2011. Parent Involvement – what works and what doesn’t — Our School.ca

15. Hi
    I am Lorena Verduga. I am studying Linguistics applied to English at the university ESPE in Ecuador.
    In order to accomplish a work guide for this semester, I would like to recommend these following sites which I consider useful for English teaching programs for children:
    http://www.wondrousworksheets.com
    http://www.softschools.com
    http://www.reggie.net/teaching/

Thanks and good night

16. Larry!
    Your page is inspiring! I´m a graduate teacher of English and systems analyst from Argentina. I work in private and public schools, and sometimes it´s really hard work as high middle class students do not respect you because their parents do not educate them to do so, and poor students suffer violence and lack of care at home, which shows in the classroom.
    That´s why I want to read more about community service and informal education, and if possible do some online course or postgrade study on education and how to start a community project, etc.
    Any suggestions?
    I believe teachers should be very competent in these topics. The more we read and share and reflect the more we can understand and help others.
    Thanks a lot for this page!
    Fabiana
    Bs As – Argentina

17. Pingback: Results from my 2011 End of Year Student Survey « « Design4Learning Design4Learning

18. Pingback: Thing 6 – Reader Interests | Travels Through Time

19. Pingback: Australia and Denmark : Darcy Moore's Blog

20. Pingback: » Week 3: Websites of the Day Ann Grannell

21. Pingback: Hughes Music Education | Week 4 : Websites of the Day

22. Pingback: Writing Standards for the Knowledge Age. | A Fine Balance

23. Hi Larry! You have a very useful website. You are a very great source of inspiration and information. Keep it up!

24. Book read in 2013

“A Different View of Urban Schools” (2012) Peter Lang Publishers provides a terrific, brief exploration of the ways that various education policies, including testing and others, weave together in a way that harms urban schools.

Thanks for your web site.

25. Found your edublog via twitter! Would love to connect; as I am a 6-8 Technology/Communications teacher!! My edublog is http://mrkirsch.edublogs.org