Making timelines can be a useful learning activity for all students, including English Language Learners. I actually think students working in small groups to create a big timeline poster is a better overall learning experience. However, I can see the development of online timelines could be a good project in some situations — for example, in sharing information with others around the world working in “sister classes.”

There are many online timeline tools out there. But I’ve only found a few that are easily accessible to English Language Learners and non-tech-savvy students and teachers, free, and allow users to grab images off the web to add to their final product.

My picks for The Best Tools For Making Online Timelines are:

TimeToast (thanks to Denise Krebs for the tip)

Preceden lets you make online timelines. It looks pretty good, but you can only make five timelines on a free account.

Hstry is a nice new online too for creating timelines. Richard Byrne just wrote a post about it, and I’d suggest just you visit his blog to learn more. As he points out, one of the particularly nice features of this free tool is that teachers can create virtual classrooms for their students.(NOTE:Hstry rebranded as Sutori and turned themselves into more of a presentation tool.  It seems nice, and I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Create Online Slideshows but, unless I’m missing something, it appears that they lost the ability to easily create timelines in the process.  I might just be missing something, though.)

Six Tools for Creating Online Timelines – A Comparison Chart is from Richard Byrne.

Knightlab Timeline (thanks to Anthippi Harou for the tip)

It’s about time: a round-up of time-lining tools is from Joyce Valenza.

Time.Graphics looks like an easy  online tool for creating timelines.It takes seconds to register, and it has a sophisticated, yet simple, interface, and you can easily add multi-media features. Note: Based on comments you can find below in the comments section, it’s expensive to now use.

eStory is a new free online timeline-making tool. It’s a quick-and-easy registration process, has a very intuitive interface, and the timelines themselves are attractive.  And, it’s free.

How to Use Canva to Create a Timeline is from Richard Byrne.

How to Make a Timeline Graphic in Google Docs, Word, Excel, Google Sheets, and PowerPoint is from Hubspot.

Of course, you can also use Google Jamboard, too.

Eight Good Tools for Creating and Publishing Timelines is from Richard Byrne.

Two Ways to Make Timelines With Adobe Express is by Richard Byrne.

12 WEBSITES TO MAKE TIMELINES WITH STUDENTS is from Class Tech Tips.

“MY LENS” IS A FREE TOOL USING AI TO CREATE HISTORICAL TIMELINES

If you found this list helpful, you might want to see the other over-ninety ones, too.

You might also want to consider subscribing to this blog for free.