I know the title of the “The Best…” list is both awkward and a mouthful (and it’s not even entirely accurate). Let me explain…

During the first part of the school year, we focus on writing Problem/Solution and Persuasive essays in our Intermediate English classes. Then we do one on Response To Literature. I already developed The Best Resources For Learning How To Write Response To Literature Essays, which contains a lot of good interactive exercises for that genre.  In a moment, I’ll share all my Best lists related to writing.   But even though I have quite a few, I really didn’t have one that would be particularly helpful to our upcoming Problem/Solution essay.  And when I began trying to find them, I discovered that all the good ones I found were not specifically about Problem/Solution, but instead where about various kinds of related-writing.

So, for lack of a better title, I came up with The Best Online Interactive Exercises For Writing That Are Not Related To Literary Analysis.  I’m all ears if anybody can come up with a better one.

Before I share my choices for this list, here are links to all my other writing-related ones:

The Best Websites For K-12 Writing Instruction/Reinforcement
The Best Places Where Students Can Write Online
The Best Sites For Grammar Practice
Not “The Best,” But “A List” Of Mindmapping, Flow Chart Tools, & Graphic Organizers
The Best Resources For Researching & Writing Biographies
The Best Resources For Learning How To Write Response To Literature Essays
The Best Places Where Students Can Write For An “Authentic Audience”
The Best Places Where Students Can Create Online Learning/Teaching Objects For An “Authentic Audience”
The Best Places To Read & Write “Choose Your Own Adventure” Stories
The Best Sites To Learn About Advertising
The Best Websites For Developing Academic English Skills & Vocabulary
The Best Online Resources To Teach About Plagiarism
The Best Resources For Learning Research & Citation Skills
The Best Sites For Students To Create & Participate In Online Debates
The Best Online Resources For Helping Students Learn To Write Persuasive Essays
The Best Spelling Sites

Here are my picks For The Best Online Interactive Exercises For Writing That Are Not Related To Literary Analysis (as reprinted from our class blog, including instructions):

Bitesize 2 Writing

Making Sentences

Bitesize 3 Writing — Here, do everything that is labeled “Activity.” Be sure to turn-on the subtitles so you can read what is being spoken.

Virtual Traveler

Writing Tutorials

In addition to these exercises, students will also be reviewing interactive essay examples from Holt’s Elements Of Literature.  They really have a good variety of essays that are interactive.  Be aware, though, that their site does not appear to be Firefox-friendly.

Proofreading: Spelling and Writing is a really nice series of many, many exercises where students have to correct paragraphs. It’s divided by levels of difficulty.

Here’s an interactive matching exercise on writing a Problem/Solution essay.

Feedback is always welcome.

You might also want to explore nearly 300 other “The Best…” lists I’ve compiled.