'Pecha Kucha: Positive Negative Patterns' photo (c) 2010, bluekdesign - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Sometimes, especially if you’re teaching in a challenging classroom situation, it’s not always easy to stay positive at school. It’s difficult, if not impossible, for anyone to stay positive one hundred percent of the time, but we can try. I’ve written a fair amount about the challenges I face in doing it myself and in helping my students do the same thing, and I thought I’d bring them all together into one post (I’ve also written a lot about it in my newest book, including lesson plans).

I was also prompted to put this “The Best…” list together after recently reading about studies that found:

…that a positive mood increases verbal fluency, improves creativity and problem solving, and helps us think less linearly, which are key to innovation. Overall, the more positive we are, the more likely we are to have penetrating moments of insight.

Here are my choices for My Best Posts On Why It’s Important To Be Positive In Class:

The Best Posts, Articles & Videos About Learning From Mistakes & Failures

My Best Posts On Helping Students “Visualize Success”

The Best Posts About The Power Of Light Touches In The Classroom

The Best Resources On The Importance Of Building Positive Relationships With Students

Emphasizing Pride, Not Shame, In Classroom Management

Why The Start Of The School Day Might Be So Important…

What Do You Do When You’re Having A Bad Day At School?

“The Fun Theory”

More “Fun Theory”

“Does ‘Counting Our Blessings’ Really Help?”

A Lesson Highlighting Community Assets — Not Deficits

Have You Ever Felt Like You & Your Students Are “Enduring” Class Instead of Enjoying It?

The Importance Of Good Endings

Gratitude Letters & Student Achievement

“Fun Theory” Winners

Can Having Students Tell About Positive Events In Their Lives Impact The Classroom?

The Value Of Sharing Positive Events

Saying “Thank You”

Emphasizing What Students Can Do, Instead Of What They “Can’t”

“Do Positive People Live Longer?”

New Study On “The Influence of Positive Framing”

“The Power Of A Positive Phone Call Home”

“Small Surprise, Big Mood Change”

Maybe This Is Why Attacking Teachers Is So Popular…And Why It’s So Important To Speak Positively About Our Students

The “Three Good Things Exercise”

If You Needed More Research Saying It’s Important To Be Positive In Class….

The Importance Of Being Positive

“Bad Emotions And…Bad Feedback Have More Impact Than Good Ones”

On The Importance Of Being Positive In Class

Yet Another Reason Why We Need To Be Positive With Our Students

How to rewire your brain to be more optimistic is from The Boston Globe. It has some useful suggestions I’m going to incorporate in a lesson plan, as well as this interesting fact:

A 2005 University of Kentucky study found that optimistic folks spent a minute longer trying to solve an unsolvable anagram word puzzle than those who were more pessimistic. “They literally don’t give up as easily and this links to greater success in life,” said Fox. “Optimists tend to think they can change things; they have a real sense of control, even if it’s illusory.”

My Student Handout For Simple Journal-Writing

This Is Why I Have Students Share Their Positive Stories

“Share your Good News, and You [ & Others ] will be Better Off”

Student Reflection Form On Goals & Joy

Coaching Young People to Be Positive Pays Off is from Science Daily. Here’s an excerpt:

Positive attitudes such as self-belief, aspiration, flexibility and appetite for learning were associated with less hyperactivity, fewer emotional problems, fewer problems with fellow pupils and greater inclination to help others. Pupils with this positive mindset were also happier and slept better. Interestingly, a range of employability skills such as teamwork, problem solving and planning were also associated with greater happiness in pupils.

Study: The Value Of “Noticing Good Things”

Think Positive is a lesson from ELT-Cation.

Emotionally positive situations boost memory for similar future events is from Science Daily.

“Instead of seeing students as Far Below Basic or Advanced, we see them as learners”

“What’s the next step on the path up the mountain?”

Positive Framing Examples and Non-Examples is from Teach Like A Champion.

A RECIPE FOR MAKING COLD CALL FEEL POSITIVE is from Doug Lemov.

RESEARCH STORIES: Accentuate the Positive is from Harvard.

The Power of Positive People is from The NY Times.

WE TEACHERS SHOULD TRY TO AVOID “TOXIC POSITIVITY” THIS FALL

Study Finds – To No Teacher’s Surprise – That Praising More Than Reprimanding Gets Results

Feedback on this topic are welcome!

If you found this post useful, you might want to look at 740 previous “The Best…” lists and also consider subscribing to this blog for free.