'090/365: String telephone' photo (c) 2008, Ben Smith - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Active Listening: Using Times Videos, Podcasts and Articles to Practice a Key Skill is the headline of a new post in the New York Times written by Katie Hull-Sypnieski and me.

This is a very short “The Best…” list. It’s different from The Best Listening Sites For English Language Learners, and is focused on ideas we can use to help all our students develop better listening skills.

I shared my best ideas, and many readers shared theirs, in my Education Week Teacher piece titled Several Ways To Help Students Become Better Listeners.

The Power of Smart Listening by Annie Murphy Paul is another good resource.

Here’s a quote from The Harvard Business Review:

For leaders, listening is a central competence for success. At its core, listening is connecting. Your ability to understand the true spirit of a message as it is intended to be communicated, and demonstrate your understanding, is paramount in forming connections and leading effectively. This is why, in 2010, General Electric—long considered the preeminent company for producing leaders—redefined what it seeks in its leaders. Now it places “listening” among the most desirable traits in potential leaders. Indeed, GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt has said that “humble listening” is among the top four characteristics in leaders.

Excellent Post On The Different “Levels” Of Listening

Here’s a playlist from TED Talks on the topic of listening.

Malcolm Gladwell’s New Story On The Importance Of Being A Good Listener

Say What? 5 Ways to Get Students to Listen is from Edutopia.

Here’s The Form I Have Students Complete When They’re Listening To Their Classmate’s Presentations

Everything You Need to Know About Becoming a Better Listener is another excellent article from The Harvard Business Review. It’s short and accessible, and will be a great addition to the lesson plan I have about becoming better listeners in my Self-Driven Learning book. Here’s a tweet about the article:

Excellent Article On Listening AND Writing Prompt I’ll Be Having Students Use With It

What Great Listeners Actually Do is from The Harvard Business Review.

25 ideas for using audio scripts in the ELT classroom is from The English Language Teaching Global Blog.

Helping teens to listen is from The British Council.

Are You a Good Listener? #InfographicYou can also find more infographics at Visualistan

What Great Listeners Actually Do is from the Harvard Business Review.

7 Guidelines for Teaching Listening is from Listenwise.

How to Work with a Bad Listener is from The Harvard Business Review.

Teaching the Art of Listening: How to Use Podcasts in the Classroom is from Education Week.

How to Be an Excellent (or at Least Pretty Good) Listener is from The Cut.

What A Great Article On The Power Of Being A Good Listener

Listening is the Black Sheep of Language Learning Skills is from Transparent Language.

Excellent Guide To Having Conversations Includes A Lot Of Wisdom For Teachers

How to Become a Better Listener is from The Harvard Business Review.

5 Strategies to Improve Students’ Listening Skills is from Edutopia.

Quick Ways Teachers Can Encourage Students to Listen to Each Other is from Ed Week.

I hope readers can contribute other good ideas….