'$4.8 Billion Taken Away From Our Schools' photo (c) 2008, Benjamin Chun - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Usually, I just post one “round-up” of articles on ed policy issues each week, but I’ve got a big backlog. Here’s a special edition:

The State of California has rightfully decided to bypass most state standardized tests this year as we prepare for the new Common Core assessments. Arne Duncan is not pleased:

Feds set price of defiance on standardized tests: at least $15 million is from Ed Source. Here’s a piece from The San Jose Mercury News on the same topic: U.S. threatens to take $3.52 billion from California schools in testing dispute.

‘Read-Aloud’ Assistance on Common Tests Proves Contentious is from Ed Week. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The “Next Generation” Of State Testing.

Teacher Quality, Wiggins and Hattie: More Doing The Wrong Things The Right Ways is by Paul Thomas. Though I don’t necessarily agree with all his points, this is probably the most thoughtful critique you’re going to find anywhere of Understanding By Design and John Hattie’s work.

The need for seniority in schools is by Lisa Haver. I’m adding it to The Best Articles For Helping To Understand Both Why Teacher Tenure Is Important & The Reasons Behind Seniority-Based Layoffs.

Listen to Diane Ravitch being interviewed by Daniel Pink here.

A Rash of Studies is an excellent post by John Merrow reviewing the recent study of teacher evaluation in Washington, D.C. and its implications for the school reform movement.

Federal Bureaucrats Declare ‘Hunger Games’ More Complex Than ‘The Grapes of Wrath’ The Common Core’s absurd new reading guidelines is from The New Republic. I’m adding it to The Best Articles Sharing Concerns About Common Core Standards.