Thanks to Richard Byrne, I’ve been reminded that Geography Awareness Week is November 13th through the 19th this year.
Here’s a description of the week’s origin:
Each year more than 100,000 Americans actively participate in Geography Awareness Week (GeoWeek). Established by presidential proclamation more than 25 years ago, this annual public awareness program organized by National Geographic Education Programs (NGEP) encourages citizens young and old to think and learn about the significance of place and how we affect and are affected by it. Each third week of November, students, families and community members focus on the importance of geography by hosting events; using lessons, games, and challenges in the classroom; and often meeting with policymakers and business leaders as part of that year’s activities.
Here are geography-related “Best” lists I’ve previously posted:
The Best Websites For Learning & Teaching Geography
The Best Geography Sites For Beginning & Intermediate English Language Learners (which includes several other “The Best” lists I just don’t have time this morning to include here).
The Best Map-Making Sites On The Web
The Best Resources For Google Earth Beginners Like Me
The Best Online Geography Games
The Best Sites Where Students Can Plan Virtual Trips
- The Best Sites For Learning About France
- The Best Sites For Learning About Brazil
- The Best Sites For ELLs To Learn About The Pacific Region
- A Beginning List Of The Best Geography Sites For Learning About Asia & The Middle East
- The Best Geography Sites For Learning About Africa
- The Best Geography Sites For Learning About The United States & Canada
- The Best Geography Sites For Learning About Europe
- Best Sites For Learning About Mexico, Central & South America
- The Best Online Activities For Learning About Time Zones
- Best Sites For Introducing Maps To English Language Learners
- The Best Sites For Introducing English Language Learners To Geography
The Best Sites For Learning About The World’s Different Cultures
The Best Sites For Teaching About Latitude & Longitude
The Best “Sound Maps” & Webcams For Teaching Geography
The Best Geography Sites For Learning About Greece – Help Me Find More
Links To The Joint Projects My ELL Geography Class Did With Classes Around The World – Want To Join Us This Year?
The Best Online Tools For Comparing The Physical Sizes Of Different Countries
The Best Sites For Learning About Historic Maps
The Best Historical Photo + Video Map-Based Sites
The Best Resources On Different Types Of Map Projections