'Oct. 17, 2011' photo (c) 2011, Mario Garcia-Baeza - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Here are some recent useful posts on education policy issues:

Garbage In, Garbage Out: Or, How to Lie with Bad Data is from Medium. I’m adding it to The Best Resources Showing Why We Need To Be “Data-Informed” & Not “Data-Driven.”

Fight over school funding starts Thursday is from The San Francisco Chronicle, and gives an excellent overview of California ed policy issues.

On Listing Education Innovators and Intellectuals is by Audrey Watters.

L.A. Unified surveys prices others pay for iPads, similar devices is from the L.A. Times. Don’t you think they should have done this a little earlier? I’m adding it to A Very Beginning List Of The Best Articles On The iPad Debacle In Los Angeles Schools.

New Advocacy Group Seeks to Expose Corporate Ties to Ed. Department is from Education Week.

The Bunkum Awards 2013 is from The Education Policy Center. Here is a description:

This marks our eighth year of handing out the Bunkum Awards, recognizing the lowlights in educational research over the past year. As long as the bunk keeps flowing, the awards will keep coming. It’s the least we can do. This year’s deserving awardees join a pantheon of divine purveyors of weak data, shoddy analyses, and overblown recommendations from years past. Congratulations, we guess—to whatever extent congratulations are due.

How Schools Can Succeed Without Tests is from The Hechinger Report. I’m adding it to The Best Articles Describing Alternatives To High-Stakes Testing.

The Problem With Sec. Duncan Playing HR Guru is by Rick Hess at Ed Week.

Are We Learning From Evaluations? is from Education Week. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About Effective Student & Teacher Assessments.

The Global Search for Education: The World Test? is from The Huffington Post. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles On 2012 PISA Test Results.