fredross
acta

As regular readers know, I was a community organizer for nineteen years prior to becoming a teacher, and spent most of my career with the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF).

If you want to learn about organizing — either out of curiosity or to refine your own skills in that area — there have been recent new publications you’ll want to read.

First off, America’s Social Arsonist: Fred Ross and Grassroots Organizing in the Twentieth Century by Gabriel Thompson has been published by the University of California Press. Fred Ross, Sr., was a legendary organizer who was also the mentor of Cesar Chavez. You might want to read my previous posts about Fred, including my annual Holiday “gift” of his most famous quotes. You can also read a good review of the book here.

Secondly, ACTA Publications has published a series of booklets by IAF organizers that look good. You can find out more by looking at the image above and at ACTA’s site.

I’m adding this post to The Best Posts & Articles On Building Influence & Creating Change.