Here are several new useful resources related to literacy:

A Trial of Tiers: Why Silent Reading Beats Other “Tier 1” Interventions All Day Long is from The Backseat Linguist. I’m adding it to The Best Resources Documenting The Effectiveness of Free Voluntary Reading.

7 Ways Reading Enhances Both Mind And Body is from PsyBlog.

How Do You Make Kids Love Reading? is by Timothy Shanahan. Here’s an excerpt that makes an important point, though I do think it’s a false choice – you can do both:

If you want kids to love reading, then make reading important in your students’ lives.

Instead of providing free reading time during the school day, pose academic and social problems for the kids to solve (or, better, let them pose their own); problems that reading can help address

Creating an Effective Book Buddies Program: No More Magical Thinking is from Timothy Shanahan. I’m adding it to The Best Posts On Helping Students Teach Their Classmates — Help Me Find More.

Thinking Outside the Bin: Why labeling books by reading level disempowers young readers is from The School Library Journal. I’m adding it to The Best Posts & Articles About Why Book “Leveling” Is A Bad Idea.