Here are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues (You might also be interested in THE BEST ARTICLES, VIDEOS & POSTS ON EDUCATION POLICY IN 2019 – PART TWO):

University of California made a mistake by recommending that the SAT/ACT requirement for admission be kept. For what it’s worth, here’s how The Washington Post quoted me on the report:

Larry Ferlazzo, a veteran high school teacher in Sacramento who has taught at UC as an adjunct faculty member, said, “I’m very disappointed, confused and concerned by the faculty recommendation.” He added: “I’m disappointed because requiring the SAT or ACT in college admission is an obvious additional barrier to many of our English-language learners and other students. I’m confused because most studies, including one that came out last week, find that GPA is a better predictor of college success than ACT/SAT scores.”

Who Could Be the Next Secretary of Education After the 2020 Election? is from Ed Week.

State of the Union Scholarship Recipient Already Attends Top Charter School is from Slate.

The Education Data Portal: Making federal data accessible to study ‘small’ student populations is from Brookings. I’m adding it to The Best Places To Get Reliable, Valid, Accessible & Useful Education Data.

Advocates In Arizona Push For Tax On Wealthy To Benefit Education is from NPR.

What keeps teachers going? Creating the supports we need in school is from Harry Fletcher-Wood.

Column: About to become teachers, they’re worried about affording the rent is from The L.A. Times. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The Teacher Compensation Crisis.

Here’s another reason why we need to be data-informed and not data-driven: Students: Amistad Faked Suspension Stats

Facial Recognition Moves Into a New Front: Schools is from The NY Times.