kreatikar / Pixabay

This list can be overwhelming.  You can find a very slimmed down version at The “Best Of The Best” Resources To Support Teachers Dealing With School Closures.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU’RE TEACHING K-12 STUDENTS ONLINE BECAUSE OF COVID-19 & WOULD LIKE TO WRITE A GUEST POST ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES

I’ve been doing a series of posts on preparing to teach online if schools are closed because of the Coronavirus.

See:

Even More Useful Online Tools If Our Schools Close & We Have To Teach Online (#COVID19)

Here Are Online Tools Some Teachers In Asia Are Using For Remote Learning – Useful To Know In The Face Of #COVID19

Online Learning Tools If Schools Are Closed Because Of The Coronavirus – Part FOUR

Gold Mine Of Resources For Educators Preparing For School Closures

Google Announces That “advanced Hangouts Meet” Features Are Free To Help Schools Affected By The Coronavirus

THREE NEW RESOURCES TO HELP TEACHERS & SCHOOLS PREPARE FOR ONLINE LEARNING (IF NECESSARY BECAUSE OF COVID-19)

MORE TOOLS & RESOURCES TO HELP WITH ONLINE LEARNING IF SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED

Guest Post: My School Was Closed Because Of COVID-19 & Here Is A Report About Our Online Teaching

EDUBLOGS HAS JUST POSTED THE GUIDE FOR ONLINE LEARNING CAUSED BY SCHOOL CLOSURES

HERE’S MY ONLINE TEACHING PLAN IF OUR SCHOOL CLOSES DOWN BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

THE BEST RESEARCH RELATED TO CLOSING SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Even More New Resources To Help With Online Teaching

NEW PBS NEWSHOUR VIDEO SEGMENT: “HOW THIS SCHOOL DISTRICT IS EDUCATING STUDENTS AT HOME DURING CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK”

Today’s Resources – & There Are Many Of Them – For Teaching Online If Schools Are Closed

The Best Research Related To Closing Schools Because Of The Coronavirus

Today’s New Resources For Teaching Online If Schools Are Closed

UPDATED RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS DEALING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES

YET ANOTHER COLLECTION OF RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS DURING SCHOOL CLOSURES

IMPORTANT NEW RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS DEALING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES!

THIS WEEKEND’S UPDATED RESOURCES SUPPORTING TEACHERS & STUDENTS COPING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES

IF SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED & NOT DOING REMOTE LEARNING, HERE IS WHAT SCHOOLS ARE TELLING TEACHERS TO DO – WHAT ABOUT YOUR SITUATION?

INTERNET COMPANIES OFFER FREE ACCESS TO STUDENTS – I GUESS IT’S BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

WOW – OHIO GOVERNOR SAYS HE WOULDN’T BE SURPRISED IF SCHOOLS DON’T REOPEN THIS YEAR

THE FOUR BEST TOOLS FOR TAKING EXISTING VIDEOS & MAKING THEM INTERACTIVE FOR ONLINE LEARNING

GOOGLE IS PROVIDING FREE CHROMEBOOKS TO STUDENTS WITHOUT DEVICES IN CLOSED JAPANESE SCHOOLS – HOW ABOUT HERE?

Monday’s Resources To Support Teachers Dealing With School Closures

BIG UPDATE OF NEW USEFUL RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS AT CLOSED SCHOOLS

The Best Video Tutorials On Teaching Remotely – Please Suggest More!

GUEST POST: STUDENT-DRIVEN “HOMEWORK” GOALS DURING SCHOOL CLOSURES

“Learning Packets” For Students During School Closures

HELPFUL NEW RESOURCES FOR TEACHING ONLINE

Those previous posts shared tools to use and how to use them, but were light on actual online teaching strategies.

Since I’ve never taught online, I don’t have much – if any – advice to give.

In a fairly extensive online search, I was able to find a lot on teaching English online as a business and on teaching college-level online courses.  However, there doesn’t seem to be many high-quality resources on how to teach K-12 students online, and I suspect they are a very different kettle of fish from teaching post-secondary classes.

Here is what I have so far that I think is useful, and I would love to hear recommendations from others, including guest posts people might want to write about their K-12 online teaching experiences:

How to Be a Better Online Teacher ADVICE GUIDE from the Chronicle of Higher Education

Take My Advice from the Chronicle of Higher Education

Best practices in teaching K-12 online: Lessons learned from Michigan Virtual School teachers

How to be an Effective Online Instructor

‘Students Are Lonely:’ What Happens When Coronavirus Forces Schools Online is an EdSurge article that includes links to lots of plans schools in Asia are using for remote learning.

Tips and Tools for Teaching Remotely is from Richard Byrne.

How to Host an Online Meeting With Zoom is from Richard Byrne.

Getting Ready For Our Digital Future is by James Taylor.

Teaching online – using your coursebook and ideas for breakout rooms is from The British Council.

Seven Practices To Swiftly Move Learning Online is from The Teaching Channel.

TIME FOR KIDS DIGITAL LIBRARY FREE FOR THE REST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR

New Database: Dozens of School Districts Share Their Early Plans for Teaching, Learning and Supports During the Pandemic. Here’s What the Top 12 Systems Are Doing is from The 74.

Summer Slugger looks like an impressive digital curriculum from Major League Baseball that allows teachers to create virtual classrooms. They are making it available now – even though it is obviously not the summer. I’m adding it to The Best Sites Where Students Can Work Independently & Let Teachers Check On Progress.  Unfortunately, baseball is probably the least favorite sport of many students these days, and I was disappointed to discover that it doesn’t seem like any other sports league has an equivalent program.  Let me know if I’m wrong.

Apple has also created what they’re calling the Apple Education Learning Series.

10 Ways to Get Students Using Academic Language During Distance Learning & Beyond is by Valentina Gonzalez.

Making the Connection: Communicating with ELLs and Their Families During School Closures is from Colorin Colorado!

Teachers’ Herculean Task: Moving 1.1 Million Children to Online School is from The NY Times.

Can Teachers Read Books Out Loud Online? Actually, Yes. is from Ed Surge.

Distance Learning: A Gently Curated Collection of Resources for Teachers is from Jennifer Gonzalez.

My autistic son gets specialized support at school for learning disabilities. What happens now? is from The Washington Post.

Sifting Through the Coronavirus Pandemic is from Infodemic. I’m adding it to The Best Tools & Lessons For Teaching Information Literacy – Help Me Find More.

I’ve been a big fan of Free Conference Call because it has been an easy way to have audio-only conference calls with lots of people. Now, they’ve added video conferencing abilities.

Ellevation Distance Learning provides free resources for ELLs.

Online Teaching Can Be Culturally Responsive is from Teaching Tolerance. I’m also adding it to The Best Resources About “Culturally Responsive Teaching” & “Culturally Sustaining Pedagogy” – Please Share More!

Our schools here in California are not re-opening this year: Public schools expected to remain closed for the rest of the academic year, Newsom says

A One-Week, Sanity-Saving Email Series for Parents Who Are Unexpectedly Rookie Teachers in Their Own Homes is from Roxanna Elden.

Teachers of newcomer students try to keep them connected as schools close, routines shift is from Chalkbeat.

Professors Are Crowdsourcing a #CoronavirusSyllabus. Here’s the History They Think Should Be Used to Teach This Moment is from TIME. I’m adding it to The Best Social Media-Created “Syllabuses” About Current Events.

What Do Students Need To Recover When School Closes For Months? is from NPR.

Ralph Fletcher is leading writing lessons for students online.

Thousands of Los Angeles high school students are not accessing online learning during school closures is from Ed Source.

The Google Classroom Student Starter Kit is from Tarvara Academy. I’m adding it to A Beginning List Of The Best Resources For Learning About Google Classroom.

Wide Open School is a new site created by Common Sense.

New Strategies in Special Education as Kids Learn From Home is from Edutopia.

pretty interesting self-guided courses for students.

RESOURCES FOR CONTINUITY OF LEARNING looks like a nice collection of resources from the Comprehensive Center Network.

Zoom Teaching Tips is from Slate.

In Chicago, schools closed during a 1937 polio epidemic and kids learned from home -- over the radio is from The Washington Post.

What School Closures Mean for Students with Disabilities is from New America.

Support for teachers and teacher educators is from The British Council, and offers lots of support for online teaching.

NYC forbids schools from using Zoom for remote learning due to privacy and security concerns is from Chalkbeat.

School districts, including New York City’s, start banning Zoom because of online security issues is from The Washington Post.

Here are some resources specifically for ELLs and their teachers:

Four Core Priorities for Trauma-Informed Distance Learning is from MindShift.

Coronavirus School Closures: What U.S. Schools Can Learn From Other Countries is from Ed Week.

The New York Times offers Zoom safety tips.

Save Time With This Google Calendar Scheduling Tip is from Richard Byrne.

Senior Year, Interrupted looks like an engaging activity for seniors. It's from KQED.

Your Maps of Life Under Lockdown is from The Atlantic. I'm thinking of using it as a lesson for my ELL students.

Educators Get Creative To Serve Students With Disabilities is from NPR.

Screencastify Submit Looks Promising - Easy Way for Students to Make Videos is from Richard Byrne. I'm adding it toA POTPOURRI OF THE BEST & MOST USEFUL VIDEO SITES.

The Disparities in Remote Learning Under Coronavirus (in Charts) is from Ed Week.

A Guide for Supporting Remote Student Book Clubs is from Facing History.

7 Ways to Explore the Math of the Coronavirus Using The New York Times is from The NY Times Learning Network.

'25 years in teaching and this is the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do’ is a Washington Post story based on one of my tweets.

Google Meet video calls are getting a Zoom-like layout is from EnGadget.

Resist the urge to grade students during the coronavirus closures is from ASCD.

Special-Education Teachers Are Fighting to Make This Work is from The Atlantic.

In Denmark, the Rarest of Sights: Classrooms Full of Students is from The NY Times.

Exhausted and Grieving: Teaching During the Coronavirus Crisis is from Ed Week.

What Historians Will See When They Look Back on the Covid-19 Pandemic of 2020 is from The NY Times.

Distance Learning for Special Education has a lot of resources.

Students on remote learning: More creativity, interaction needed is from Education Dive.

Remote Teaching Tips is a publication from The British Council.