kreatikar / Pixabay

This list can be overwhelming.  You can find a very slimmed down version at The “Best Of The Best” Resources To Support Teachers Dealing With School Closures.

LET ME KNOW IF YOU’RE TEACHING K-12 STUDENTS ONLINE BECAUSE OF COVID-19 & WOULD LIKE TO WRITE A GUEST POST ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCES

I’ve been doing a series of posts on preparing to teach online if schools are closed because of the Coronavirus.

See:

Even More Useful Online Tools If Our Schools Close & We Have To Teach Online (#COVID19)

Here Are Online Tools Some Teachers In Asia Are Using For Remote Learning – Useful To Know In The Face Of #COVID19

Online Learning Tools If Schools Are Closed Because Of The Coronavirus – Part FOUR

Gold Mine Of Resources For Educators Preparing For School Closures

Google Announces That “advanced Hangouts Meet” Features Are Free To Help Schools Affected By The Coronavirus

THREE NEW RESOURCES TO HELP TEACHERS & SCHOOLS PREPARE FOR ONLINE LEARNING (IF NECESSARY BECAUSE OF COVID-19)

MORE TOOLS & RESOURCES TO HELP WITH ONLINE LEARNING IF SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED

Guest Post: My School Was Closed Because Of COVID-19 & Here Is A Report About Our Online Teaching

EDUBLOGS HAS JUST POSTED THE GUIDE FOR ONLINE LEARNING CAUSED BY SCHOOL CLOSURES

HERE’S MY ONLINE TEACHING PLAN IF OUR SCHOOL CLOSES DOWN BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

THE BEST RESEARCH RELATED TO CLOSING SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF THE CORONAVIRUS

Even More New Resources To Help With Online Teaching

NEW PBS NEWSHOUR VIDEO SEGMENT: “HOW THIS SCHOOL DISTRICT IS EDUCATING STUDENTS AT HOME DURING CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK”

Today’s Resources – & There Are Many Of Them – For Teaching Online If Schools Are Closed

The Best Research Related To Closing Schools Because Of The Coronavirus

Today’s New Resources For Teaching Online If Schools Are Closed

UPDATED RESOURCES FOR TEACHERS DEALING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES

YET ANOTHER COLLECTION OF RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS DURING SCHOOL CLOSURES

IMPORTANT NEW RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS DEALING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES!

THIS WEEKEND’S UPDATED RESOURCES SUPPORTING TEACHERS & STUDENTS COPING WITH SCHOOL CLOSURES

IF SCHOOLS ARE CLOSED & NOT DOING REMOTE LEARNING, HERE IS WHAT SCHOOLS ARE TELLING TEACHERS TO DO – WHAT ABOUT YOUR SITUATION?

INTERNET COMPANIES OFFER FREE ACCESS TO STUDENTS – I GUESS IT’S BETTER LATE THAN NEVER

WOW – OHIO GOVERNOR SAYS HE WOULDN’T BE SURPRISED IF SCHOOLS DON’T REOPEN THIS YEAR

THE FOUR BEST TOOLS FOR TAKING EXISTING VIDEOS & MAKING THEM INTERACTIVE FOR ONLINE LEARNING

GOOGLE IS PROVIDING FREE CHROMEBOOKS TO STUDENTS WITHOUT DEVICES IN CLOSED JAPANESE SCHOOLS – HOW ABOUT HERE?

Monday’s Resources To Support Teachers Dealing With School Closures

BIG UPDATE OF NEW USEFUL RESOURCES TO SUPPORT TEACHERS AT CLOSED SCHOOLS

The Best Video Tutorials On Teaching Remotely – Please Suggest More!

GUEST POST: STUDENT-DRIVEN “HOMEWORK” GOALS DURING SCHOOL CLOSURES

“Learning Packets” For Students During School Closures

HELPFUL NEW RESOURCES FOR TEACHING ONLINE

Those previous posts shared tools to use and how to use them, but were light on actual online teaching strategies.

Since I’ve never taught online, I don’t have much – if any – advice to give.

In a fairly extensive online search, I was able to find a lot on teaching English online as a business and on teaching college-level online courses.  However, there doesn’t seem to be many high-quality resources on how to teach K-12 students online, and I suspect they are a very different kettle of fish from teaching post-secondary classes.

Here is what I have so far that I think is useful, and I would love to hear recommendations from others, including guest posts people might want to write about their K-12 online teaching experiences:

How to Be a Better Online Teacher ADVICE GUIDE from the Chronicle of Higher Education

Take My Advice from the Chronicle of Higher Education

Best practices in teaching K-12 online: Lessons learned from Michigan Virtual School teachers

How to be an Effective Online Instructor

‘Students Are Lonely:’ What Happens When Coronavirus Forces Schools Online is an EdSurge article that includes links to lots of plans schools in Asia are using for remote learning.

Tips and Tools for Teaching Remotely is from Richard Byrne.

How to Host an Online Meeting With Zoom is from Richard Byrne.

Getting Ready For Our Digital Future is by James Taylor.

Teaching online – using your coursebook and ideas for breakout rooms is from The British Council.

Seven Practices To Swiftly Move Learning Online is from The Teaching Channel.

TIME FOR KIDS DIGITAL LIBRARY FREE FOR THE REST OF THE SCHOOL YEAR

New Database: Dozens of School Districts Share Their Early Plans for Teaching, Learning and Supports During the Pandemic. Here’s What the Top 12 Systems Are Doing is from The 74.

Summer Slugger looks like an impressive digital curriculum from Major League Baseball that allows teachers to create virtual classrooms. They are making it available now – even though it is obviously not the summer. I’m adding it to The Best Sites Where Students Can Work Independently & Let Teachers Check On Progress.  Unfortunately, baseball is probably the least favorite sport of many students these days, and I was disappointed to discover that it doesn’t seem like any other sports league has an equivalent program.  Let me know if I’m wrong.

Apple has also created what they’re calling the Apple Education Learning Series.

10 Ways to Get Students Using Academic Language During Distance Learning & Beyond is by Valentina Gonzalez.

Making the Connection: Communicating with ELLs and Their Families During School Closures is from Colorin Colorado!

Teachers’ Herculean Task: Moving 1.1 Million Children to Online School is from The NY Times.