BiljaST / Pixabay

Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention.

You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2020.

Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners.

In addition, look for our new book on teaching ELLs, which was published in the Spring of 2018 and learn about our next book.

Here are this week’s choices:

Coming up! – A reporter from Capitol Public Radio, Sacramento’s NPR affiliate, sate in and recorded some of my ELL classes this week (with student and parent permission, of course). She also interviewed students. Her story should be out in a couple of weeks, and I’ll share it here!

Building Background Knowledge is from Reading Rockets. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The Importance Of Prior Knowledge (& How To Activate It).

skeebdo is an app that helps you learn words from television shows and movies.

6 Scaffolds for ELs in a Virtual Classroom is by Judie Haynes.

Biden Is Planning To Scrap Trump’s Version Of The Citizenship Test That Critics Said Was More Confusing is from BuzzFeed News. I’m adding it to The Best Websites For Learning About Civic Participation & Citizenship.

California schools struggle to test English learners’ progress during pandemic is from Ed Source.

For Immigrant Students, Remote Learning Brings Extra Challenges is from public radio.

4 Ways to Co-Assess ELs with Colleagues is from Tan Huynh.  You might also be interested in A LOOK BACK: HERE’S THE ADVICE I GAVE OUR ADVANCED ELL TEACHERS ON HOW TO PREPARE STUDENTS FOR WRITING ASSESSMENTS – WHAT CAN YOU ADD?

Here are some good videos to show to ELLs and then have them write and talk about what they saw:

Here are some articles on immigration changes being implemented by the Biden Administration:

Biden Team Unveils New Asylum System To Replace Trump’s ‘Remain In Mexico‘ is from NPR.

Biden to allow asylum seekers Trump kept in Mexico to enter US is from Vox.

Biden admin to name refugee advocate director of task force to reunite separated families, say sources is from NBC News.

‘It would be very difficult’: Dems prepare for heartburn over Biden immigration plan is from Politico.

What Biden can learn from Obama’s immigration mistakes is from Vox.

A Plan B for Immigration Reform appeared in The NY Times.