BiljaST / Pixabay

Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention.

You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2020.

Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners.

In addition, look for our new book on teaching ELLs, which was published in the Spring of 2018 and learn about our next book.

Here are this week’s choices:

A quick note: Many ELL teachers are familiar with the Picture Dictation strategy – the teacher draws a picture, then “dictates” what it looks like to students who, in turn, have to replicate it following the instructions they hear. Then, students can draw their own pictures to repeat the exercise with a partner.

I’ve been doing this online by first drawing a picture on Whiteboard.fi, and then having students draw their own on a Padlet. Then, students can draw their picture on their own Whiteboard.fi or the same one, and their partners can draw following their directions on Padlet. It’s more fun for students to draw on Padlet because they have the ability to used different colors.

Using Mentor Texts to Develop Vocabulary, Reading, Writing, and Language is by Valentina Gonzalez.

Use Text Sets to Benefit Bilingual Students is from Middleweb.

5 Principles Can Help Us Support Our Language Learners is by Tan Huynh.

iCivics & ELL: Resources to Engage Your Multilingual Classroom is from iCivics.

The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition (NCELA) “has produced a series of practice briefs and podcast episodes on instructional approaches and strategies for educators who serve English learners (ELs) and their families. These resources highlight promising practices related to STEM, language instruction educational programs, teacher preparation, and early childhood instruction.”

My Name, My Identity is from The Santa Clara County Office of Education. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On The Importance Of Correctly Pronouncing Student Names.

In California, a million English learners are at risk of intractable education loss is from The L.A. Times.

Why Students Are Logging In to Class From 7,000 Miles Away is from The NY Times.

Setting a New Federal Agenda on English Learner Education is from Language Magazine.

All Things Topics has lots of ESL Worksheets. I’m adding it to The Best Sites For Free ESL/EFL Hand-Outs & Worksheets.

Story Dice is from ELT Buzz.

In ‘My Broken Language,’ Latina playwright Quiara Alegría Hudes honors her own story is from NBC News.

Imagine It is a nice photo tool from ELT Buzz.  I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Use Photos In Lessons.

English Level Test is from ELT Buzz.  I’m adding it to The Best Free Online Tools For ELLs To Use For Assessing Their Language-Level.