A new study has come out indicating that students leaving juvenile hall can have a major impact on educator stereotypes and increase a sense of belonging by writing a letter to their teacher.

Even though media about the research is highlighting the letter, there were a number of important steps leading up to writing it.

However, I do think the outline they used for the letter is a good one that could be used by just about every teacher at the beginning of the school year.

The study shared it:

1. What would you like your teacher to know about who you are as a person and what is important to you? Write 1-2 things.

2. What would you like your teacher to know about your goals in school? Write 1-2 things.

3. What would you like your teacher to know about what is difficult for you in school that you would like to improve, so they can help? Write 1-2 things

Of course, many of us already have students do some version of this already.

The study’s main author, Greg Walton, has done a lot of interesting and useful research on motivation and belonging, much of which I’ve shared on this blog.

I’m adding this info to THE BEST RESOURCES FOR LEARNING HOW TO PROMOTE A SENSE OF “BELONGING” AT SCHOOL.