BiljaST / Pixabay

Six years ago I began this regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention.

You might also be interested in THE BEST RESOURCES, ARTICLES & BLOG POSTS FOR TEACHERS OF ELLS IN 2020.

Also, check out A Collection Of My Best Resources On Teaching English Language Learners.

In addition, look for our new book on teaching ELLs, which was published in the Spring of 2018 and learn about our next book. PLUS, we’ve just submitted the manuscript for the second edition of The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide! That book will be out in early 2022.

Here are this week’s choices:

For English Learners to Thrive, Community and Culture are Necessary is from Ed Surge.

The Kids the Pandemic Left Behind is from Mother Jones.

Afghan Resource Center is from USA Hello. I’m adding it to A COLLECTION OF THE BEST ADVICE TO TEACHERS ABOUT SUPPORTING AFGHAN REFUGEE STUDENTS.

Clozemaster lets you learn multiple languages through an intriguing system.  And it’s free. I’m adding it to THE BEST MULTILINGUAL & BILINGUAL SITES FOR LEARNING ENGLISH.

Check out Chromebook’s new accessibility features is from Google.

What Language Should Multilingual Learners Speak in the ESL Classroom? 6 Strategies is from TESOL.

An ESL Lesson: Writing a Story Using Picture Prompts and Correction Marks is from Don Yorty. I think I’ll adapt it for a new flash card activity I’ll be doing with my ELL students using flash cards that have sequenced stories (see Here Are Step-By-Step Instructions For A Flashcard Activity I Do With My ELL Newcomer Students).

MEETING THE NEEDS OF ENGLISH LEARNERS WITH AND WITHOUT DISABILITIES is from the U.S. Dept. of Ed. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On Assisting ELLs With Special Needs – Help Me Find More.

This next info is from The National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition:

Confronting Discrimination Fact Sheet Available in New Translations
Last month, the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights and the U.S. Department of Justice’s Civil Rights Division jointly issued a new fact sheet: Confronting Discrimination Based on National Origin and Immigration Status
This resource provides information about public elementary and secondary schools’ obligation to enroll all children, regardless of national origin or immigration status, and to provide language assistance services to ELs. 
Eight new translations of this fact sheet are now available in the following languages:  
Please share these new translations widely with educators, families, students, and community members.