It’ll come as no surprise to most teachers, but a new study finds that all the time, money and effort spent on “reforming” teacher evaluations resulted in zero positive impact on student achievement.

Efforts to Toughen Teacher Evaluations Show No Positive Impact on Students is the headline of a lengthy Education Week article about the summary, and it’s worth reading the whole thing (and, if you don’t have an Ed Week subscription, you definitely want to make it one of the two or so articles you can access for free each month).

Unfortunately, the article doesn’t actually link to the study itself, and I wasn’t able to find it while searching online.  I’ll add a link to this post whenever I do come upon it.

Many of the issues researchers find that caused the problems are similar to points I raised in a post titled A Look Back: “Evaluating Teachers In Order To Fire Them?” years ago. Trying to implement a “top-down” change is prime among them.

I’m adding this info to The Best Resources For Learning About Effective Student & Teacher Assessments.

You might also be interested in:

The Best Resources For Learning About The “Value-Added” Approach Towards Teacher Evaluation

The Best Resources On The Idea Of Evaluating Teacher “Input” Instead Of Student “Output”

The Best Posts & Articles On The Florida Teacher Evaluation Fiasco

UPDATE:

Here’s the link to the study itself:

UPDATE:

The authors just came out with a final version, and I’ve shared some tweets below about it (and I’ll be adding those tweets to that original post):