I’m re-posting my most useful posts from the first six months of this year.

mohamed_hassan / Pixabay

Here are some new additions to The “Best” Lists Of Recommendations About What “Effective” Teachers Do:

Characterizing Effective Teaching is a new – and very lengthy -report from Simon Burgess and others at the University of Bristol in the UK.

He was kind enough to summarize their key findings in some tweets:

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a similar English graph in the actual report, but he did send the link to me:

“Open discussion among student and teacher” and “Students are working in groups” are the two checkmarked activities in that English graph.

COVID derailed learning for 1.6 billion students. Here’s how schools can help them catch up is an article in Nature that shares an interesting visual design of recommendations from the Education Endowment Foundation. You can see the Foundation’s original design here.

Taking stock of the science of reading: A conversation with Amanda Goodwin is from Phi Delta Kappan.

I’ve embedded an important quote from it below. I’m also adding this to The Best Resources For Learning About Balanced Literacy & The “Reading Wars” and to The Best Resources For Understanding How To Interpret Education Research: