In another example of my cluelessness, I just learned today that the California State Library system is now offering a 24 hour a day multilingual online homework tutoring system, including trained tutors, audio, and a live whiteboard.

Here’s their announcement:

The California State Library provides free online tutoring for California K-12 students, available through public libraries. Through HelpNow, live real-time homework assistance is available 24 hours a day by laptop, tablet, or phone from qualified tutors using state curriculum and standards.

24/7 assistance is available in English and Spanish for Language Arts and Mathematics. 

Every day between 10:00 am and 10:00 pm, assistance is available in core K-12 subjects in the following languages:

• English
  • Spanish
  • Mandarin
  • Cantonese
  • Vietnamese
  • Tagalog

Tutors can provide a virtual whiteboard, conduct live audio interactions with students, and work with learners on a wide range of concepts. Students are expected to work through the content and learn from the feedback. Tutors do not provide answers — they provide guidance and help. Tutoring sessions may be monitored for completeness and pedagogical effectiveness. All tutors have passed background checks and possess, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree. 

Anyone using a computer inside of California can benefit from the live “HelpNow” program. Simply click on this link to get started with a live tutoring session now. The average wait time is 23 seconds. 

Additionally, users who have a valid library card can log into the service and receive additional benefits. Learners can request to continue working with their preferred tutors or access a “writing lab” to drop off written work and receive feedback. Students can pose a question and get a written answer returned to them, review past sessions, and send and receive messages to tutors and organize tasks. 

This sounds pretty amazing, so amazing that it’s a little hard for me to believe that it’s as good as it sounds – but I certainly hope it is!

I’ll certainly recommend that my English Language Learner students try it out!