Image from the DALL*E website

Using Artificial Intelligence to create art is everywhere in the news these days, including controversies about these art creations winning prizes.

Now DALL*E, the preeminent AI art-creating tool out there, has just opened itself up to anyone registering for free and using the site to create art through writing text prompts.

Facebook is even trying to take it into a new and different level by letting users create videos through text prompts. And Google is doing the same.

You can read an excellent overview of what’s going on in this world at The Washington Post story, AI can now create any image in seconds, bringing wonder and danger.

I’ve been wondering if there is any language-learning value in having my ELL students try their hand at creating text prompts to see what AI can come up – and then perhaps trying again to describe that actual picture?

I don’t know, and am still thinking about it. I’d love to hear ideas!

Here’s a paragraph with resources that I’ve previously published:

I’m trying to figure out if there is some useful way to use the DALLE-Mini in the classroom. It uses Artificial Intelligence to create images out of user-written prompts. Monkeying with DALL-E is giving me some ideas to think about. Any ideas? FYI, here is more information on how to use it. Here are two more resources to help learn about designing prompts for it. Photosonic is another DALLE-like site, as is Enstil.

I’m adding this post to The Best Art Websites For Learning English.

ADDENDUM: This Could Be A Fun Way To Use Artificial Intelligence When Teaching English To ELLs

Pokémon text to image lets you create a Pokemon using a text description.

Artsio lets you use Artificial Intelligence to create art work.

Futurepedia is a collection of AI tools.

Canva now has a text-to-image tool.