Maklay62 / Pixabay

What if Diversity Trainings Are Doing More Harm Than Good? is the headline of a column in today’s NY Times.

It makes some decent points about how diversity trainings, which also occur in K-12 education, can be counter-productive.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that author also cherry-picks the worst examples of these kinds of trainings and, then, offers an alternative without also including practical ways to implement it.

The problem, it seems to me, is that opponents of diversity trainings might pick up on this column in a prestigious publication and start using attacking diversity trainings the same way some use Critical Race Theory – just an easy cudgel to pound against schools dealing with systemic racism.

If someone is serious about helping schools and others consider effective strategies to attack racism, it seems to me that the way to do it is to lead with offering very practical strategies and emphasize them.

And, if you’re looking for those ideas, check out A Look Back: Implicit Bias Training Doesn’t Seem To Work – So What Should Teachers & Others Do, Instead?