chenspec / Pixabay

I’ve previously shared HERE’S A DRAFT WEEK-LONG UNIT ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE I’M USING TO FINISH THE YEAR – HELP ME MAKE IT BETTER.

We start the unit this week, and I decided to add an activity at the beginning.

I’m going to distribute this form, Reactions-Analysis-To-AI-Tools.

It’s composed of five sections: one on using Padlet’s “Text-to-Image” feature; another on Poe, a chatbot that is not blocked by our district (yet); one with a Job Interview Coach;  a section using eighteen tools from THE BEST 34 FREE AI TOOLS FOR EDUCATION IN 2023 – SO FAR that are not blocked by our district, and an exercise testing an AI text detector.

As you can see from reviewing the handout, the questions are primarily designed to highlight the shortcoming of AI, and to get students thinking about how it can help and hinder student learning.

As part of the intro, students are also supposed to create and share their own chatbot – of themselves, a historical or fictional character or anyone else they want to use as a model.  Some students got an early start on the activity and, though I haven’t checked them yet, told me they created chatbots of….me.  Those will be interesting!

I think this will be an engaging and fun introduction to the unit.  I’ll let readers know how it goes next week.