'magnifying glass' photo (c) 2005, Tall Chris - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature.

By the way, you might also be interested in MY BEST POSTS ON NEW RESEARCH STUDIES IN 2021 – PART TWO.

You can see all my “Best” lists related to education research here.

Here are some new useful studies (and related resources):

The Active Ingredient in Reading Comprehension Strategy Intervention for Struggling Readers: A Bayesian Network Meta-analysis is a new study that offers some interesting findings (it’s also not behind a paywall):

Results showed (1) instruction of more strategies did not necessarily have stronger effects on reading comprehension; (2) there was no single reading comprehension strategy that produced the strongest effect; (3) main idea, text structure, and retell, taught together as the primary strategies, seemed the most effective; and (4) the effects of strategies only held when background knowledge instruction was included. These findings suggest strategy instruction among students with reading difficulties follows an ingredient-interaction model—that is, no single strategy works the best. It is not “the more we teach, the better outcomes to expect.” Instead, different strategy combinations may produce different effects on reading comprehension. Main idea, text structure, and retell together may best optimize the cognitive load during reading comprehension. Background knowledge instruction should be combined with strategy instruction to facilitate knowledge retrieval as to reduce the cognitive load of using strategies.

I’m adding this info to The Best Posts On Reading Strategies & Comprehension – Help Me Find More!

I’m adding this next tweet to The Best Resources On The Idea Of “Wait Time”:

Don’t test after lunch: Time of day affects test-taking engagement is from Teach Learn Grow. I’m adding it to Best Posts On How To Prepare For Standardized Tests (And Why They’re Bad).