'magnifying glass' photo (c) 2005, Tall Chris - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature.

By the way, you might also be interested in MY BEST POSTS ON NEW RESEARCH STUDIES IN 2021 – PART TWO.

You can see all my “Best” lists related to education research here.

Here are some new useful studies (and related resources):

How important was your favorite teacher to your success? Researchers have done the math is from The Hechinger Report.

I’m adding this tweet to The Best Sites For Learning That Money Does Matter For Schools:

Integrated Student Support Intervention Mitigates the Adverse Impact of School Mobility on Middle School Students’ Achievement and Behavior is a new study that discusses the challenges that students changing schools face and how to support them. I remember years ago we did an analysis of students at our school comparing academic achievement between those who had been with us for all four years and those who had been with us for less than two – the differences were dramatic.

Improving learning-by-teaching without audience interaction as a generative learning activity by minimizing the social presence of the audience. is a new study that highlights a well-researched finding (that students learn a topic well when they have to teach it), tries to add a new twist to it (finding that students learn more when they create a video about it than when they teach to other students in-person), but totally misses a key element (in the study, it appears they were teaching to people they didn’t know, while in school, they would be teaching to their classmates/friends). The key point doesn’t totally negate their conclusions, but I think it raises an important question about them. Nevertheless, I’m adding this info to The Best Posts On Helping Students Teach Their Classmates — Help Me Find More, because having students teach-by-video could be a nice change-of-pace.