My end-of-year “Best” list posts continue…

I publish a regular series called Ed Tech Digest, and I thought it would useful to readers and to me to review them and highlight the ones I think are the best of the year.

You can see previous editions of this list, along with all the “Best” lists related to ed tech, here.

And, you might be interested in THE BEST (& FREE) ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE SITES FOR THE CLASSROOM – 2023.

Here are my choices from the past six months:

IT LOOKS LIKE GOOGLE IS CREATING A “DUOLINGO-KILLER”

THE BEST ALTERNATIVES TO THE SOON-TO-BE-DECEASED GOOGLE JAMBOARD

“LOECSEN” LOOKS LIKES A GREAT SITE FOR ELLS – & WHY THE UPCOMING OCT. 23RD GOOGLE “ARMAGEDDON” FOR SCHOOLS PROMPTED ME TO FIND IT

THE ONLINE SITES I USE/VISIT EVERYDAY

THOUGHTS ON THE FUTURE OF TEACHERS, SOCIAL MEDIA & MICRO-BLOGGING

Supporting Student Engagement With Technology is from Edutopia.

12 WEBSITES TO MAKE TIMELINES WITH STUDENTS is from Class Tech Tips. I’m adding it to The Best Tools For Making Online Timelines.

This site has a lot of ideas on using technology with Project Zero’s Thinking Routines.  I’m adding it to THE BEST RESOURCES FOR LEARNING ABOUT PROJECT ZERO’S THINKING ROUTINES.

Spin Wheel is a free tool that lets you add any text to the wheel and then spin it.

Do More with Deck.Toys is from FLT Magazine.

Some blogging myths is from Julia Evans. I’m adding it to The Best Sources Of Advice For Teachers (And Others!) On How To Be Better Bloggers.

Rooms XYZ lets you create interactive digital…rooms.

Walling seems to be Padlet-like. I’m adding it to The Best Online Virtual “Corkboards” (or “Bulletin Boards”).

The Virtual Tour Maker is from Google Maps Mania. I’m adding it to The Best Map-Making Sites On The Web.

Get an online letter written in the form of a sea creature.

You can create your own “Connections” game at Create A Puzzle. I’m adding it to NY TIMES UNVEILS “CONNECTIONS,” AN ONLINE GAME THAT’S GREAT FOR ELLS.

The annual Top 100 Tools for Learning 2023 is always interesting to review.

Is digital text a good idea for reading instruction? is by Timothy Shanahan. I’m adding it to The Best Resources On Which Is Best – Reading Digitally Or Reading Paper?

I’m adding this post from Recommendo to THE BEST TOOLS FOR TAKING STUDENTS “AROUND THE WORLD”:

A new genre of experiences has emerged on YouTube. A bunch of channels offer quiet walks in high resolution. The creators hold a stabilized high def camera with binaural audio and walk around Tokyo at night, or Times Square in snow, or London in the rain, or the back alleys of New Delhi, all without narration. I can hear the ambient sounds and see all the ordinary things usually edited out of sizzle reels.  It really feels like I am there. These virtual walks allow me to travel without traveling. Some folks just watch for the soothing calm it gives them. I enjoy the tiny distinctive details of places I am “returning” to and a way to check out places I’d like to go. There are dozens if not hundreds of channels, often specializing in regions. A few I watch: Nomadic Ambience (NYC, Japan, Iceland), Virtual Japan (Japan),  Watched Walker (London, Paris, Spain), Keezi Walks (India, China, Vietnam, South America). Google “quiet virtual walk” for your destination.

Language Tool is a grammar and punctuation checker. Google or Microsoft will point out the same mistakes.  However, Language Tool will also provide a short explanation of why it’s a mistake.  I’m adding it to:

THE BEST REFERENCE WEBSITES FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS

The Best Online Tools That Can Help Students Write An Essay